cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules for RE-Investigating a Previous Dispute!!!!

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Rules for RE-Investigating a Previous Dispute!!!!

I recently disputed approx 5 accounts with all 3 cr agencies.

Experian immediately replied saying they already investigated, no change.

EQ and TU list accounts as: consumer disputes, reinvestigation in progress.

It has been 30 days since the reinvesigation was listed on my cr. but eq and tu have not replied or made any changes.

should i send them certified mail request that these accounts be deleted since they were not verified? or do they still have more time?

what are the rules on reinvestigating a previously disputed accounts? thanks for all the help!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rules for RE-Investigating a Previous Dispute!!!!

CreditDrama85 wrote:
I recently disputed approx 5 accounts with all 3 cr agencies.

Experian immediately replied saying they already investigated, no change.

EQ and TU list accounts as: consumer disputes, reinvestigation in progress.

It has been 30 days since the reinvesigation was listed on my cr. but eq and tu have not replied or made any changes.

should i send them certified mail request that these accounts be deleted since they were not verified? or do they still have more time?

what are the rules on reinvestigating a previously disputed accounts? thanks for all the help!

for TU  send a MOV letter   CMRRR

call EQ and EX on reinvestigation....they might have 35 days to mail new report.
When you get it (online or by nmail)  send a MOV to them.

IF reinvest. is not completed send this letter  CMRRR

make changes where needed and YES  YOU DO SIGN THIS LETTER!

Friday, April 02, 2007

Addressee

Re: Demand For Corrected Credit Report

To Whom It May Concern:

On January 2nd, 2007, I wrote to tell you I had not heard about any

specific actions taken to reverify the items I had identified as inaccurate or incomplete in my credit report. Copies of my correspondence are attached for your review.

Since you have not given me names of persons you contacted for reverification of the

Information, nor have you complied within the statutory time period—30 days— to my request for reverification, I assume that you have not been able to reverify the information I have disputed. Therefore, you must comply with the provision of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and drop the disputed items from my credit report.

I demand that you send me a copy of my updated credit report showing the elimination of the items, which I disputed on the attached letters. This copy must be provided free, according to 15 USC section 1681j. I demand that it be postmarked within five days after signing the certified mail receipt for the letter you are holding.

If I do not receive an updated copy of my credit report with the disputed items dropped, my attorney will pursue my legal rights less than 15 USC section 1681n or 1681o of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, “Civil liability for willful noncompliance.” Your credit bureau may be liable for:

1) Any actual damages I sustain by your failure to delete the items

2) Punitive damages as the court may allow

3) Costs of the court action, plus attorney’s fees

I have forwarded a copy of this letter to the Federal Trade Commission, the Subcommittee on Banking, Credit and Insurance, the Pennsylvania Consumer Protection Agency and Department of Business and Professional Regulations (Division of Consumer Complaints.)

Sincerely,

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score dropped after a dispute.

I sent a request to 3 lenders to confirm. When I did myFico showed a 16 reduction in my credit score.

The description of the alert was:

Consumer Disputes - Reinvestigation In Progress Consumer Disputes This Account Information ChargeCharge

I didn't know that disputing a record could trigger a reduction in credit score, does that sound right?

Message 3 of 8
maxofgreentree10

Re: Credit Score dropped after a dispute.

Yes, I reinvestigated a old student loan payment that was 90 days late and I took a hit on my score. The reason I was told is this becomes a brand new debt as far as credit reporting goes. I am  currently using an attorney and they are awesome getting my credit cleaned up,even cleaning up  old lates with current debt ie car payment. Hope this helps

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The terminolgy "reinvestigation"as it relates for disputes filed under FCRA 611 via a CRA does not pertain to re-investigation of a previous dispute.

It refers to their investigation subsequent to obtaining the results of investigation from the furnisher of the disputed information.

The CRA must refer disputes of information to the party who reported the information to the CRA.  That party must conduct a reasonable investigation and report the results back to the CRA.  The CRA then makes the final decision based on the results reported to them and any other information in their possession.

That is the "reinvestigation.

A second dispute filed with a CRA that is substantially the same as a prior dispute can be dismissed without reinvestigation by a CRA as being "frivoulous or irrelevant".

They have no obligation to reinvestigate unless a second dispute contains substantially new information supporting the dispute.

CRAs have 30 days from the date of receipt of a dispute to complete their reinvestigation.  They then have 5 business days to mail the Notice of Results to the consumer.

Thirty days plus 5-7 days plus mailing time equals approx. 45 days.

I would not assert violation by the CRA until at least 45 dys from filing.  If you wish to assert a violation, you can either file a complaint with the CFPB or bring your own civil action against the CRA.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is an MOV and CMRRR?  

Message 6 of 8
TrishaB
Established Member

MOV = Method of Verification & CMRRR = Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested

STARTING SCORE: FICO EQ SW NOV/13 469, FICO EQ SW JUN/14 648
CURRENT SCORE: FICO 3 monitoring OCT/14 EQ 663 / EX 692 / TU 725
GOAL SCORE: 750 all three
Message 7 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Wow! This thread was resurrected from the dead! 2007?? Lol! Awesome!!Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.