cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S'plain Lucy...WHY should I not dispute?

tag
electra
Established Contributor

S'plain Lucy...WHY should I not dispute?

OK, so, I've had a number of people tell me I should just wait for CRAs to update vs disputing when I've been told something would be removed. Can someone explain why?  In my last case, 2 of the CRAs deleted within a couple weeks but the third hadn't budged after 45 days.  I then disputed and it took ANOTHER 30 days to be removed.  

In my latest case, I've gotten a CA to agree to PFD.  They are teling me that the fastest way to get this off my CRs is to dispute and then they will confirm the removal.    So...why should I wait?  I truly don't understand...  It's been a over a week since they cashed my check, talked to the lady today and she confirmed they had already sent the removal info to the CRAs and AGAIN encouraged me to dispute.  So...why wouldn't I?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: S'plain Lucy...WHY should I not dispute?

First, you must have a legitimate issue of inaccuracy with what is currently reported.

Disputes based on failure ot a party to make voluntary/discretionary changes in their reporting as promised are not proper.

They relate to your private agreements to report, not the inaccuracy of what has already been reported.

What is your basis for a dispute?

Second, while a dispute is pending, FICO ignores certain information in OC accounts.

Thus, your score becomes essentially unusable until the dispute is concluded.  And CRAs are notorious for not timely removing pending dispute flags.

Third, if removal was promised based on acceptance of a PFD offer, in order to dispute their lack of deletion, your basis would be a statement to the CRA that they promised to delete based on payment.   The CRAs have a firm policy advising furnishers that they should not delete based on payment of a debt.

So you are asking the CRA to act contrary to their own policy, and also informing them that an incoming deletion from your creditor is being made contrary to their policy.

Not smart.

Message 2 of 23
Mindcrime

If OP may be uncomfortable with a Not Mine dispute, and Robert said that disputing based on agreement between OP and CA is against CRA policy, you could mail/fax dispute (since I don't believe online methods allows for this), stating something like "account x is inaccurate and needs to be investigated" could be used. It's not a lie, and it doesn't go against any CRA policies.
Message 3 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is inaccurate because there is nothing inaccurate with the TL itself which would prompt a dispute.

Because you and the creditor have an agreement for the TL to be deleted has nothing to do with how it is reporting.

If it is yours, using Not Mine is  not a reason for a dispute, neither is needs investigating.  How is it not a lie.

If the creditor doesn't delete within 90 days then go the BBB route.  OP has an agreement with the creditor which they failed to meet would be the complaint with the BBB.

Message 4 of 23
electra
Established Contributor

I understand that the CRA official policy may be that CAs are advised against PFD but, if the CA doesn't care about their agreement with the CRAs why should I?  It's policy, not law. I'm not proposing to lie, I would simply send a dispute stating that I had communications with the CA and they have agreed to remove their reporting.   The lady is sending me a letter to that effect, actually and she told me to include it with my dispute.    She encouraged me multiple times to dispute, saying that would be the fastest way to get it removed. She said when the CRAs send them a dispute they will reply back immediately to remove.  Honestly, she was VERY nice and I didn't feel like she was pulling my chain at all.  She must do this all the time.   I really wouldn't want to file a BBB dispute against them because she has been quite decent...THAT would feel icky to me.  Also, 90 days to update seems beyond ridiculous. 

Speaking of which, one thing I don't get though, is whywhywhy it takes so friggin' long to update your CR in some cases?   Or rather, why is it all over the map?  Like I said in my former post, my GW deletion they said they would delete and two of them happened pretty quickly, one within days and the other within a couple weeks...then the third just sat there.    How exactly does the communication between the CAs and CRAs work?  This being the age of computers, one would imagine there is an actual digital link where the CAs can communicate. After some type of review I would imagine the changes/additions get queued to a batch file or something which runs x/day.   No?  Or, do they put a messenger on a donkey who then delivers a scroll to a room full of trolls who then vote on which scroll gets sent to the wizard for magically updating your file?   Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 23
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I said it before and I will say it again!!!! The whole system needs a major overhaul!!!! I did read somewhere that lenders are getting away from the fico scoring model all together. I need to find the link.

Message 6 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@electra wrote:

I understand that the CRA official policy may be that CAs are advised against PFD but, if the CA doesn't care about their agreement with the CRAs why should I?  It's policy, not law. I'm not proposing to lie, I would simply send a dispute stating that I had communications with the CA and they have agreed to remove their reporting.   The lady is sending me a letter to that effect, actually and she told me to include it with my dispute.    She encouraged me multiple times to dispute, saying that would be the fastest way to get it removed. She said when the CRAs send them a dispute they will reply back immediately to remove.  Honestly, she was VERY nice and I didn't feel like she was pulling my chain at all.  She must do this all the time.   I really wouldn't want to file a BBB dispute against them because she has been quite decent...THAT would feel icky to me.  Also, 90 days to update seems beyond ridiculous. 

Speaking of which, one thing I don't get though, is whywhywhy it takes so friggin' long to update your CR in some cases?   Or rather, why is it all over the map?  Like I said in my former post, my GW deletion they said they would delete and two of them happened pretty quickly, one within days and the other within a couple weeks...then the third just sat there.    How exactly does the communication between the CAs and CRAs work?  This being the age of computers, one would imagine there is an actual digital link where the CAs can communicate. After some type of review I would imagine the changes/additions get queued to a batch file or something which runs x/day.   No?  Or, do they put a messenger on a donkey who then delivers a scroll to a room full of trolls who then vote on which scroll gets sent to the wizard for magically updating your file?   Smiley Happy

That is why.  It is NOT an inaccurate account.  The only thing is the agreement between you and the CA saying they would delete which does not make it inaccurate.  It can take up to 90 days depending on when the CA reports.  Some do it quarterly. 

Have you contacted the CA back and asked when they were going to delete it?  They could have forgotten to send it to this CRA.

Message 7 of 23
Mindcrime

Complaining to the BBB will get you no where.  The BBB has no power over the CA, and even if they did, what does it matter...the CA provided the OP with documentation that account is to be deleted.  They, as it seems, held up their end of the agreement.  Now this is a CRA issue.

Message 8 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Mindcrime wrote:

Complaining to the BBB will get you no where.  The BBB has no power over the CA, and even if they did, what does it matter...the CA provided the OP with documentation that account is to be deleted.  They, as it seems, held up their end of the agreement.  Now this is a CRA issue.

No, it is not a CRA issue.  How does any one know for certain that letter got sent to that CRA?  We don't.

I beg to differ.  If the CA is accredited, and many are, a BBB complaint does work.  Has many times.

Message 9 of 23
Mindcrime

True, we do not know for certain that the letter was sent to the CRA, but likely it was. A CA is not going to send the consumer in writing that the account is to be deleted and not fire off a UDF to the CRA as well.

What will complaining to BBB accomplish? All CA has to say is we submitted to CRA to delete account, now it's out of our hands. Plus by doing that, you are in fact affirming the account is yours and that what's going on between OP and CA is "a violation of CRA policy".

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.