Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOPPING CART TRICK...

tag
jj1983
Established Member

SHOPPING CART TRICK...

Hey guys! I was just seeking advice. I do not owe on anything but my credit score sucks (612) we had a lot of charged off accounts back in 2010 when our 3 month old passed. Anyhow I have tried building my credit and would ALWAYS get denied for everything I tried for. However, I got a fingerhut fresh start account a couple years ago and it did shoot my score up by like 50 points (once I got the unsecured account and my limit is now $750.00). I was approved a month ago for a Care credit ($800 limit). I was approved for a VS (using the shopping cart trick for I think $500.00), and was approved for for Simply Be and mansota for $250.00 each (shopping cart trick). The ONLY shopping cart trcisk that I have been able to secure are those who ask on the inital page for the DOB (not sure why), I have applied for sportsman,jcvrew,loft,gamestop,onestopplus,kingsizedirect,hsn,overstock- all to no avail. I am wanting to improve my score by opening these lines and buying something once a month and then paying on (as that is how I have done fingerhut and it has helped a lot). I just do not have my name on our vehicles or the house and want to get my credit "restarted". I know the SP's may make my score go lower but I want to apply for a lot at once for AAOC and that way the accounts can all "age" together. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do you knows know of any that are SP's that ask for DOB on main page that I may have missed? Any advice would be EXCELLENT! Right now I owe $0.00 and total credit of a whopping $2550.00 lol gotta start somewhere though, I assume.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SHOPPING CART TRICK...

Forget 'the shopping cart trick'. In fact, forget store cards *entirely*. You got a couple of them and more just isn't going to be helpful. The way you intend to use them isn't going to help either.

You need BANK CARDS. Go to the Capital One site and use their pre-approval page. Even if you don't get a pre-approval offer, apply anyway. You should, at the very least, be able to get a platinum or a QS1 Rewards card. They may only offer a secured card to start, but I doubt it. As soon as the new account reports, go back and apply again and get a second account. After a few months (3-6) of reports from these new accounts, you should see a rise in your scores. Now to use these cards - USE THEM. Use them for everything you would normally pay cash for, or use your debit card for - gas, groceries utility bills, etc. When you hit the limit on one, switch to the other card, and as soon as the charges on the first card are posted, go online and pay it in full. Repeat the process with the second card. Keep paying in full as they charge up and post, and at the six month point request credit limit increases on each card. You should be pleased by the results...

After your first round of credit limit increases, call the customer service line and ask about upgrading your cards. If they say they are not eligible, wait three months and try again. Request CLI's again at 12 months.

Message 2 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Norman FH, no more store cards you want to start building your bankcard portfolio. You can try Cap-1 for a platinum or QS1. You can also pose a question in the CC forum for answers to specific cards.

Message 3 of 14
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

@jj1983 wrote:

Hey guys! I was just seeking advice. I do not owe on anything but my credit score sucks (612) we had a lot of charged off accounts back in 2010 when our 3 month old passed. Anyhow I have tried building my credit and would ALWAYS get denied for everything I tried for. However, I got a fingerhut fresh start account a couple years ago and it did shoot my score up by like 50 points (once I got the unsecured account and my limit is now $750.00). I was approved a month ago for a Care credit ($800 limit). I was approved for a VS (using the shopping cart trick for I think $500.00), and was approved for for Simply Be and mansota for $250.00 each (shopping cart trick). The ONLY shopping cart trcisk that I have been able to secure are those who ask on the inital page for the DOB (not sure why), I have applied for sportsman,jcvrew,loft,gamestop,onestopplus,kingsizedirect,hsn,overstock- all to no avail. I am wanting to improve my score by opening these lines and buying something once a month and then paying on (as that is how I have done fingerhut and it has helped a lot). I just do not have my name on our vehicles or the house and want to get my credit "restarted". I know the SP's may make my score go lower but I want to apply for a lot at once for AAOC and that way the accounts can all "age" together. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do you knows know of any that are SP's that ask for DOB on main page that I may have missed? Any advice would be EXCELLENT! Right now I owe $0.00 and total credit of a whopping $2550.00 lol gotta start somewhere though, I assume.

Hello,

First and foremost, Sorry for your loss. Now to answer your question, having a couple of store cards is enough to help you with your mix of credit.  Anymore store cards are just not going to help.  I didn't see that you have actual credit cards?  If not, you may want to look at Cap One cards.  You can go on their site and check their pre-qualify site and see if they say that you are pre-qualified.  Other than that, all your energies should go towards letting your accounts age, keeping your util down VERY low and trying to get your baddies removed and if not they will continue to hurt you less and less as they age.  Good luck in your journey and just know time heals ALL!  

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 4 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Forget 'the shopping cart trick'. In fact, forget store cards *entirely*. You got a couple of them and more just isn't going to be helpful. The way you intend to use them isn't going to help either.

You need BANK CARDS. 

That.  ^

I rebuilt my profile without using the SCT.  A wallet full of toy limit store cards doesn't do me any good.

I started with CapOne and haven't looked back..  The store cards that I do have ($2500 Nordstrom, $3500 Best Buy) are upgradable to MC/VISA down the road.  Care Credit is $7500.

No $200 Target cards here.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a long time reader, but first time posting. I'm in relatively the same situation, not enough bank cards. So I decided to take the plunge and apply for capital one quicksilver one......I was pleasantly surprised!  Approved instantly 1k limit.  I'm just wondering if I should try for another card while I'm taking inquiry hits.  Any the other cards that are similar with the approving people with low 600s scores?

thanks my fico for all your help!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a long time reader, but first time posting. I'm in relatively the same situation, not enough bank cards. So I decided to take the plunge and apply for capital one quicksilver one......I was pleasantly surprised!  Approved instantly 1k limit.  I'm just wondering if I should try for another card while I'm taking inquiry hits.  Any the other cards that are similar with the approving people with low 600s scores?

I would apply for a Cap One Platinum as well.  

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I should have clarified....I have that one already with just a 500 limit.  I've had that since 2007 and they haven't given me any auto increases.  Quicksilver give me a total of two bank cards with a limit of 1500 collectively 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I should have clarified....I have that one already with just a 500 limit.  I've had that since 2007 and they haven't given me any auto increases.  Quicksilver give me a total of two bank cards with a limit of 1500 collectively 

You can try for the Sportsman's Guide, Camping World, or Total Rewards Visas via the SCT if you need a 3rd bank card.  Also hit the Cap One luv button.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can try for the Sportsman's Guide, Camping World, or Total Rewards Visas via the SCT if you need a 3rd bank card.  Also hit the Cap One luv button.

Should Ido that now- hit the luv button , even after I just got approved from a quick silver one?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.