Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOULD I DISPUTE?

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

SHOULD I DISPUTE?

Status as of Date opened [?] Date of last activity [?] Largest past balance [?] Account Type [?] Account holder [?] Industry
Dec, 2010
Jan, 2010
Jul, 2006
$191
Open Account
Individual
Factoring Companies
Descriptions [?]
  • Account paid for less than full balance
  • Paid collection

No contact information provided by Equifax

Balance [?] Current Status [?]
$0120+ days past due

Hi everybody - I'm wondering if I should dispute this so that it indicates a closed account ?  I found this on this site on my credit report as showing 120 days past due.  It should indicate closed.  It is also in my "collections" accounts-- is this dinging me twice?  I am in the middle of trying to get a mortgage, so my LO told me not to dispute anything and I'm worried that if I dispute it I will make it worse.  I have written to AFNI 3 times, and even have tried QWEST themselves to see if they will take the account back from collections and let me pay them. I  haven't heard back - ideally I will get it deleted, but if I dont?

Am I reading this wrong?  Doesn't it say both Paid and Unpaid, Open & Closed?

Thanks!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SHOULD I DISPUTE?

The account above states it was paid for but for less than what was owed. This is still a negative item on your credit (Being late and paying less than the amount) I would dispute first. If that did not work send goodwill letter (GW).

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What you are seeing is a credit report that has merged unrelated information under one confusing heading.

What you have posted is apparently the reporting done by a debt collector, with inclusion of information reported by an OC.

All reported collections are, until paid and closed, "open" collections.  That does not mean that the OC account is open.

If you settle a debt, either through the OC or with the reporting debt collector, the collection must be closed, and the OC must then report a $0 balance owed, and the debt collector must concurrently report a $0 balance on the collection,  No CR deletion is mandated based on debt payment status, in full or in part.

The party who accepted the settlement can then post an additional comment to your CR indicating that the "paid" status was arrived at due to settlement of less than the full amount of the debt.

Paying an OC, if they still own the debt, does not require any prior reporting by the debt collector to be deleted.

If you wish to dispute, you must show some inaccuracy in their credit reporting.  I dont see an inaccuracy that is disputable.

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Yes it is confusing.

QWEST has the wrong spelling of my name.   the actual account is set up with the wrong last name.  I just now noticed that on the statement I got from QWEST.

The bill was sent in 2006 to the Collection Agency, and CA didn't send me anything nor notify the credit reports until 2010.

Also, if I dispute it based on the wrong last name, is that going to F things up regarding my mortage loan?  My LO said "NO MORE DISPUTES".  Yet I feel like I must try and dispute.  I can't help myself.

Message 4 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I emailed AFNI and they replied that they have updated all three credit reports as of today to show this account as paid/closed - I then called them and talked to a "supervisor" for over 30 minutes.  They are absolutely unwilling to budge on this account.  I literally told him I was "begging him." 

Emailed Qwest 3 times and called them today.  They were very nice on the phone, though they say they cannot get the account back from AFNI.  So now I'm worried sick that the "update" will make things worse - EQUIFAX report here on MYFICO does not list this count as a "collection" but as an "open account/120 days past due".

I don't know what I should do here.   If they update it could get worse, yet I don't want a 120 days past due open account that isn't mine, either.  UGH

Message 5 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Factoring companies are collection agencies.  Factoring company has bought the debt from the original creditor is the fine difference. With what AFNI has updated the account you are fine.  Do not dispute you could end up with an unwelcome result.  If the account is not yours by chance work to get if off your credit report after the mortgage loan is completed.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

OK thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.