Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL Help

tag
Bella1980
Established Contributor

SOL Help

I need some help.

I have about 9 derogatory accounts. I can afford to pay off 5-7 of them by September. However, the other 2 are much higher, one is 4k the other 9k.

I am going to try and PFD the first 5-7.

The 9k just bought my debt and has started sending me letters.

I send one DV,which I never heard back on and did nothing else because I am scared they may sue me.

The 4K has not contacted me at all.

I am going to try and save up to pay these 2 by May 2009 (and try for PFD's). However, how should I approach these companies? Just sit still and hope they don't contact me again until I can pay?

How can I figure out when the SOL is for these ca's to not sue me? I had the accounts opened and used them when I was in FL, I am now in IA. I can't remember when my last payments were on either accts and I can't tell frommy credit report.

This is from credittotal

BK OF AMER  
EXPERIAN
EQUIFAX
TRANSUNION
        Account Name: BANK OF AMERICA  BANK OF AMERICA  BK OF AMER  Account Number: [Edited] [Edited] [Edited] Acct Type: Credit Card - Revolving Terms  Revolving or Option  Revolving account  Acct Status: Closed  Closed  Closed  Monthly Payment:       Date Open: 9/1/2003  9/1/2003  9/7/2003  Balance:   $0.00  $0.00  Terms: Revolving      High Balance:   $6,018.00  $9,000.00  Limit:       Past Due:     $0.00  Payment Status: No status  Bad debt & placed for collection & skip  Charged off as bad debt  Comments: Account in dispute-reported by subscriber
  ACCOUNT TRANSFERRED OR SOLD
CHARGED OFF ACCOUNT
  Purchased by another lender
   24-Month Payment History Date: May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr 06 06 06 06 06 06 06 06 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07 08 08 08 08                                                 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 120 OK OK OK OK OK                                                

I am still going to try and pay because I am a joint user on the accounts and used the cards and it is not scheduled to fall off my CR until 2012 I believe. I can't afford to wait that long.

Please help me figure this out!

Edited to remove personal information(account numbers). Please do not share personal information on the forums. -sidewinder

Message Edited by sidewinder on 07-21-2008 09:04 PM

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOL Help

I do believe Florida is one of the states that tolls SOL. Meaning if you leave the state, SOL stops until you return.

If you don't return, SOL doesn't expire.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, SideWinder's right. Here in Florida, we'll hound you 'til you come back. Smiley Sad

We love those new-people dollars. :/
Message 3 of 13
Bella1980
Established Contributor

So if I have left the state forever, they can keep hounding me forever...omg....what if my permanent address is still in FL? But I moved away for school....does it still stop?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bella1980 wrote:
So if I have left the state forever, they can keep hounding me forever...omg....what if my permanent address is still in FL? But I moved away for school....does it still stop?

I am unsure about this.

I know most of the time when you move for just school, you remain a legal resident of your home state.

For tax purposes, what state are you considered a legal resident of?
Message 5 of 13
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I think I am still a permanent resident of Florida. My drivers license, car tag and permanent address for school is still in FL. I don't file state taxes though cos no income.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bella1980 wrote:
I think I am still a permanent resident of Florida. My drivers license, car tag and permanent address for school is still in FL. I don't file state taxes though cos no income.

You will probably need to speak with an attorney to be certain.

However, if you are still a legal resident of FL and no other state, then I don't think tolling will apply.

I am not an attorney, this is just my opinion and how I view it.

Message 7 of 13
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I guess I will try and see if I can get some legal advice from legal aid in that state! Gosh, this is so depressing but at least I'm trying now! :-)

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bella1980 wrote:

Yep, sounds as though, by FL standards, you're still legally a FL resident. At least, when hubby and I became FL residents (about 7 years ago) that was the criteria. Its also the criteria if you want to be considered a "resident" here for schooling.

And BTW, you don't pay state taxes here in FL because there ARE no state income tax here in FL. The tourists, essentially, pay them "for us."

Though one day, I'm sure, that will change. Almost changed about 4 years ago when tourism tanked. :/
Message 9 of 13
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

I have not heard of this "tolling" practice before.  How do you tell which states do this?  My biggest baddie is going to reach its SOL in January, but I am hoping my 2 years of grad school (out of state) will not end up adding another 2 years.  I was still a legal resident of my original state the whole time, but I did have wages reported from the other state (graduate research assistance was considered employment)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.