Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL NYS

tag
MOMO30
Regular Contributor

SOL NYS

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL IF IM CORRECT IS THE SOL FOR NYS SIX YEARS FOR UNPAID COLLECTIONS. I'M AWARE IT'S FIVE YEARA FOR PAID COLLECTIONS AND THEN THERE REMOVED.. THANKS IN ADVANCE! SIX YEARS AND THEY CAN'T TURN AROUND AND SUE YOU?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: SOL NYS

Yes from what I've read, NYS SOL is 6 yrs and the CRTP for paid CA is 5yrs. Unpaid CA would be 7.5yrs.

There are some threads about this recently, use the search to findSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
mxp114
Valued Contributor

OC or CA can sue you at anytime, even when SOL is expired. However SOL expiration is a valid defense and the court will dismiss the case. It is however your job to bring this up in court and make sure you don't ignore any court dates. The NYS SOL is six years however the NY Court of Appeals (the state's highest court) unanimously ruled that creditors in states with a lower SOL cannot take advantage of NY states six year SOL. So for example a NY resident with a Bank of America card, the SOL is three years because BofA is based in DE where the SOL is three. All lower courts in NYS are bound by this precedent.

Message 3 of 5
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

OC or CA can sue you at anytime, even when SOL is expired. However SOL expiration is a valid defense and the court will dismiss the case. It is however your job to bring this up in court and make sure you don't ignore any court dates. The NYS SOL is six years however the NY Court of Appeals (the state's highest court) unanimously ruled that creditors in states with a lower SOL cannot take advantage of NY states six year SOL. So for example a NY resident with a Bank of America card, the SOL is three years because BofA is based in DE where the SOL is three. All lower courts in NYS are bound by this precedent.

I wonder how many people know that.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Not very many people do and I bet so many have paid on expired debts and thus extended the SOL. That's why I highly recommend people review not only the laws but relevant court decisions.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.