Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL & DV question.

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

SOL & DV question.

so if Im understanding this correctly, the SOL starts from my derog on the TL before it CO. So on a Key Bank loan, it charged off in 2008, last payment made was July 2008. So does this mean that the SOL, being 5 years in my state, started then? So say 08/2013 will this be past SOL?

Secon question, Key Bank wrote the debt off and sold it to a collection agency, Square II financial. As soon as they contacted me I sent a DV. This was several months ago, and I havent heard anything from them since. I understand they can sell the debt to another agency, in which case I will DV again. So say I dont hear from them, and they dont (because they arent now, nor have they in the past) reported anything to the CRAs, can they report a collection after the SOL has expired?

anyone have any advice, Im wanting to pay this, but If I can hold on until the SOL has expired it would give me settlement offer power that I need, as I cant afford the full debt right now.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SOL & DV question.

The DOFD starts the first time the account went delinquent and was never brought back current.  So yes I do believe your math is currect on the SOL.  If the DV was timely, they can't report to your CR, a timely DV prevents them from collecting on the debt until such time as they provide you with validation, and yes posting to your CR is an attempt to collect.  Yes, they can still post to your debt after the SOL has run out.  CRTP of the account is the DOFD, plus 7 years and 180 days.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

The DOFD starts the first time the account went delinquent and was never brought back current.  So yes I do believe your math is currect on the SOL.  If the DV was timely, they can't report to your CR, a timely DV prevents them from collecting on the debt until such time as they provide you with validation, and yes posting to your CR is an attempt to collect.  Yes, they can still post to your debt after the SOL has run out.  CRTP of the account is the DOFD, plus 7 years and 180 days.

OK, so once I am past SOL, they can still post collections on my report, but they can't sue me. I think Im getting it now. I just need to buy time to save up money. This debt hit me out of nowhere and I cant catch up to it! Thanks for the help!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you are getting the hang of it.  Save up for a PFD, see if you can get it off your CR.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Its not even on my reports, but I want to avoid it ever getting on them. Key Bank is on my reports, but they wrote the debt off and the CA cant report until they respond to my DV. So for now Im just saving my money and hoping to buy time until I can pay it, but keep it off my reports while doing so.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.