Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL and DOFD question

tag
Wonderyears
New Contributor

SOL and DOFD question

I am currently about to settle a judgment, but just read the SOL for cc debt collection in MO is 5yrs. Court records show my date served Apr. 5 2010; court records say I was "issued" Mar. 3, 2010.

My DOFD I THINK was in late 2004, as I am comparing them to a couple other deliquincies I had at the time. Is there anyway I can find the exact DOFD? If so, even though it has been 2 yrs since I was served and I have a default judgment against me, is there anything I can do?

Is there anything I am missing in my reasoning? I am real new to this, and am thinking aloud. Feel free to shoot me down. I am prepared to just satisfy it and move on.

Just wondering!

myFico TU-715 EQ-778 (01.14.2013) WalmartTU-664 (12.12.12))

LENDER PULL EQ-766 EX-779 TU-713 (12.20.2012)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: SOL and DOFD question

Unfotunately, once a judgment is awarded to the plantit/judgment creditor, you cannot go back and claim it's not valid. 

If they did violate the statue of limiations, this needed to be brought up with the court before they got the defulat judgment. 

Message 2 of 9
Wonderyears
New Contributor

Understood.

Well what about my chances of having it vacated after payment in full? I have been speaking with the creditor's attorney, and very cordially we have reached a settlement.They mentioned they couldn't file a motion to vacate with no valid reason. Could this be a possibility?

Thanks again Mike; you seem to have an answer for all my late night, mind wandering posts!

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

State SOL statutes set periods for commencement of legal action.  A judgment is long past that stage.

DOFD has only one relevancy to credit reporting... it sets the date for calculating when a collection or charge off must ultimately be excluded from your CR.

The DOFD has no relevancy to the judgment.  It is based only on the OC account and the date it first became delinquent, and was subsequently not brought back into good standing prior to the reported collection or charge off.

You can get the reported DOFD from the CRAs if it is not listed in your CR.  Simply send them a request under FCRA 609(a)(1) accompanied by the current processing fee of $11.00.

Message 4 of 9
Wonderyears
New Contributor

Thanks Robert.

When does the SOL clock start? So even if the suit was filed after the SOL, I guess there's nothing I can do because I didn't show in court? I assume that would have been my moment. I was just hoping to find a grounds to vacate. Thanks for the info as always!

Message 5 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Wonderyears wrote:

When does the SOL clock start? So even if the suit was filed after the SOL, I guess there's nothing I can do because I didn't show in court? I assume that would have been my moment. I was just hoping to find a grounds to vacate. Thanks for the info as always!

Since there's a judgment, a new SOL is created. Your state has a SOL for collecting following a judgment. It varies by state. In Cali for example, that SOL is 10 years and can be renewed for another 10. Here in VA, I think it's still 10 as well. Check your state's laws. The new SOL clock starts at the judgment date (2010 in your example).

Even after a default judgment, where the debtor never showed, there are examples in here of getting it vacated with the help of the plaintiff's attorney. Look around and you'll find step-by-step examples of how they paid it, got it vacated, and removed.

Message 6 of 9
Wonderyears
New Contributor

Thanks llecs.

I was referring to the SOL for the creditor to file the initial lawsuit, that resulted in the judgment. As if they filed that after my state's SOL on credit card collection expired.

I understand if not showing up in court ruined my opportunity, but thought, maybe in the even of PIF, this would allow for the motion to vacate to be filed.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Expiration of an SOL is not something that usually exists as a matter of fact in a given case, and not something the court must take upon itself to raise as a defense for the defendant.  It is something that requires the party asserting its expiration to raise in court, and establish by proofs, under the governing state statute, the relevant date of running of the period.  Particularly important if the state SOL statute provides for any resets.  Then the SOL has expired.

The plaintiff is afforded equal opportunity to challenge raising of an SOL defense, so it needs a finding of fact and law by the judge.  To argue after the fact that the debt was time barred leaves no proofs in court that establish its actual expiration.  It remains an assertion.

If proper notice was given to the defendant in the proceeding, and they chose not to appear and assert exipration of SOL, it is kinda doubtful that a court would now entertain the matter. 

The usual reason to motion for vacating a judgment is lack of proper service of notice on the defendant, thus depriving them of the opportunity to present a defense, such as expiration of SOL.

Message 8 of 9
Wonderyears
New Contributor

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I apologize if my questions seem redundant, sometimes it takes a minute to seek in!

Appreciate all the help and time you guys contribute!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.