Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL for Medical Debt in California

tag
JuJuBee84
Regular Contributor

SOL for Medical Debt in California

When my son was born 5 years ago, I had to have an emergency C-section which left me with alot of medical bills. I paid the smaller ones but have a few others I never paid. I believe the SOL in California is 4 years but they are all reporting to the credit bureaus. So I'm confused- even though the SOL has expired will these still continue to be reported on my CR for 7 years?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SOL for Medical Debt in California

@JuJuBee84 wrote:

When my son was born 5 years ago, I had to have an emergency C-section which left me with alot of medical bills. I paid the smaller ones but have a few others I never paid. I believe the SOL in California is 4 years but they are all reporting to the credit bureaus. So I'm confused- even though the SOL has expired will these still continue to be reported on my CR for 7 years?

HI there.

The SOL (Statute of Limitations) is not the same as the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period). The SOL is set by each state and lays out how long a creditor has to bring a lawsuit for unpaid debt.

The CRTP is federal law and sets time limits as to how long negative information can report. A collection can report for up to 7.5 years from the DoFD (Date of First Delinquency) on the OC (Original Creditor) account that led to the collection.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 4
JuJuBee84
Regular Contributor

Aah, I gotcha! How do I know the date that SOL starts from? My credit report shows DOFD, Date assigned to collection and DOLA.

Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JuJuBee84 wrote:

Aah, I gotcha! How do I know the date that SOL starts from? My credit report shows DOFD, Date assigned to collection and DOLA.

Generally the SOL starts the same time as the DoFD.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.