cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL in MS is 3 Years - Can I remove Collections Older?

tag
panicattack
Valued Member

SOL in MS is 3 Years - Can I remove Collections Older?

The SOL for medical debt in Mississippi is three years.  MS is one of two states where the debt is extinguished after that period.  Can I use this to get old medical collections from within my state removed from my credit report?  If so, what is the best way to go about this?  Thank you in advance.

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SOL in MS is 3 Years - Can I remove Collections Older?

@panicattack wrote:

The SOL for medical debt in Mississippi is three years.  MS is one of two states where the debt is extinguished after that period.  Can I use this to get old medical collections from within my state removed from my credit report?  If so, what is the best way to go about this?  Thank you in advance.

Even though state statutes mandates that the debt is extinguished, it does not limit the CRTP.  I would assume then a GW would be in order.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: SOL in MS is 3 Years - Can I remove Collections Older?

Discharge of a debt, be it by way of payment, cancelletion, BK, or in your case, a provision of your SOL statute, does not negate the fact of prior delinquencies or of legitimte collection activities prior to its discharge.

It is not basis for contesting the accuracy of prior reporting, and thus not basis for requriing deletion of their reported collection.

They are required to close the collection, and update the balance remaining under collection to $0.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.