Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL in Virginia

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

SOL in Virginia

I read the post "State Resources" above, and clicked the link for Virginia, but I'm not sure I'm understanding what I'm reading. Can someone just tell me in plain English what the SOL is for a debt collector to sue in Virginia? Thanks.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: SOL in Virginia

Virginia Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection

Statute of limitations assign a certain time after which suit may no longer be filed and a collector may no longer collect a debt from a consumer. 

In Virginia, during the time period in which an account remains open, and no payment is made on the account, a collector has a statute of limitations of 3 years from the date of last payment or last charge for goods or services rendered on the account to file suit against a consumer.

If a debt is based on a written contract (non-Uniform Commercial Code) the statute of limitation period is 5 years.

Domestic judgments, or those obtained in a Virginia court of law have a collection  period of 10 years and may be extended for a long as 20 years.  While foreign judgments, or any judgments of a court where the debt did not originally occur, also have a collection period of 10 years but may not be renewed or extended.   

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.