Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL question

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

SOL question

I pulled my husbands credit report and showing a collection from Capio Partners. I called OC and found out it is a medical bill from 5/6/2003. for a trip to the emergency room. I received this info on Credit Karma and showing as Transunion reporting, date opened 5/11/2013 and date reporting 6/16/2013. Can they still request payment on this medical bill? I also have not received anything from them that it is owed. I am assuming that I am going to have to do a DV and have to pay it to get it taken off his credit report? I live in Texas if that helps.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SOL question

@cjane1 wrote:

I pulled my husbands credit report and showing a collection from Capio Partners. I called OC and found out it is a medical bill from 5/6/2003. for a trip to the emergency room. I received this info on Credit Karma and showing as Transunion reporting, date opened 5/11/2013 and date reporting 6/16/2013. Can they still request payment on this medical bill? I also have not received anything from them that it is owed. I am assuming that I am going to have to do a DV and have to pay it to get it taken off his credit report? I live in Texas if that helps.

What you have here is a blatant violation of the FCRA, namely a violation of the time limits set out. The maximum time a derog COed or CA account can report on your CRs is 7.5 years from the DoFD, the DoFD for medical bills is the month after the bill is sent to you and never gets paid (it would be in 2003). I would be sending the reporting CA an ITS letter (Intent to sue) for re-aging that debt. Each violation is worth 1K.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: SOL question

Does the credti report show the date of first delinquency (DOFD) that was reported by either the OC or the debt collector?

The issue with respect to continued showing in your credit report depends upon what they reported as the DOFD.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.