cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSN Variations and TransUnion (Midland/T-Mobile)

tag
ayo
Established Member

SSN Variations and TransUnion (Midland/T-Mobile)

I have a collections account from Midland on my TransUnion credit report.  I have called TMobile and they have verified that it is not my social security number on the account.  It looks like someone did "social security maniuplation" and rearranged the last 4 digits of my account to obtain a phone.  They also changed my year of birth by a year.

I called TransUnion to file a dispute to have all Social Security Number Variations removed from my account.   The person at the overseas call center was no help.  Just seemed like she was reading from a script.  Sounds like she just disputed the account with no notes. 

I called T-Mobile and they advised me to deal with Midland directly over the phone which I do not want to do at all.  As I've heard horror stories about them starting the account age all over again after contact.  T-Mobile also suggested I would need to file a police report.  But what am I filing a police report on? My social security wasn't directly used...but a variation of it.

The account is set to fall off in September of 2015.  I can't afford to wait that long.    I'm only finding out about it now because TU is the only CRA that is reporting this account.  TU has consistently included my father and brother (same name, address) on my credit report so it doesn't surprise me that they are including SSN variations. 

How should I approach this social security number variation issue?  Do I send another dispute to TransUnion?  This time more detailed?  Do I send a letter to Midland?

Thanks

27 Months Ago: 590 EX, 605 EQ, 610 TU
Today: 740 EX, 701 EQ, 760 TU
Goal 780's FICO Across the Board
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SSN Variations and TransUnion (Midland/T-Mobile)

What you have here is a case of ID Theft, Here it the thread you need to read and then take action to get rid of the items that are not yours

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.