Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSN on Goodwill Letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SSN on Goodwill Letter?

Hi,

I have been reading the threads on goodwill letters and am still unsure of something. Should I be putting my SSN on this or do most collection agencies keep the account record even after the collection has been paid. I am writing to get 4 paid, closed collections off my report and have the old account numbers. Will this information still be in their system enough to complete this request or do I need to provide my SSN (I really don't want to for security and theft reasons). Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SSN on Goodwill Letter?

I'd never include my SSN. I would include info which makes the paid CA much easier to find me and that would be my name, address (include any old ones if moved), and any account number they use.

Message 2 of 3
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Re: SSN on Goodwill Letter?

I am under the impression that they already have that information anyhow, so what does it matter? I learned not to physically sign the papers that you mail them because then they can forge your name. Unfortunitly, SSN's aren't as secure as they once used to be. Believe me, they already know what it is. It is a good way though to confirm that you are you and not someone else.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.