Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAGNANT CREDIT SCORE

tag
CORNISHK
New Visitor

STAGNANT CREDIT SCORE

Why does it take so long for my credit score to increase? I retired from the military and didn't have the money to make the payments on credit cards. That was four years ago. My credit score is still in the low 600 / high 500. What does it take to see my score increase? I've been making payments on time for the last two years and even paid off the creditors for all my delinquent accounts. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: STAGNANT CREDIT SCORE

Your score is going to be hurting for as long as any late payments show up on your reports.  Do you have any CO's or CA's?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

30-60 day lates will affect your score for a couple years then start to lose their sting. 90-120 day lates will affect your score for nearly the entire 7 yrs. What else is on your credit reports? 

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@CORNISHK wrote:

Why does it take so long for my credit score to increase? I retired from the military and didn't have the money to make the payments on credit cards. That was four years ago. My credit score is still in the low 600 / high 500. What does it take to see my score increase? I've been making payments on time for the last two years and even paid off the creditors for all my delinquent accounts. 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your service.

Were any of the accounts charged off or sent to collections?  What type of late payments?  Anything over 60 days is considered a major derogatory and will affect your score for 7 years.

What is your utilization on your CC now?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.