Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAHM credit building questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

STAHM credit building questions

Hi☺ my hubby and I are at the beginning of our credit building process. I'm a stay at home mom (taking care of our disabled daughter) and have no income. Credit Karma says I have no credit score. I pulled all 3 of my free reports from annual credit report. Com and they showed nothing. Nothing good, nothing bad, just nothing with a side of nothing. 😁

My hubby added me as an AU to his credit card which is less than a month old. My question is... what options do I have for building my own credit without an income?

Any help appreciated 🤗
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: STAHM credit building questions

Have you looked into secured credit cards? There are secured cards that report to all 3 credit bureaus so you can establish credit. I'd look into a Capital One secured card or OpenSky card to begin. OpenSky also does not do a credit check (no hard pulls). You can Google "secured cards that report to credit bureaus without credit check" and a list of them will come up. 😁
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Donna but don't I need an income? All the apps I've seen ask about income.
Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you apply for a credit card, you can list income of your spouse as your income if you have access to that money on a normal basis.  You may qualify for non-secured cards that place substantial emphasis on income based determinations.

Prior to the Card Act of 2009, you could only put down income on a credit card application that was your own (i.e., money that you independently earned). That often made it difficult or impossible for spouses who didn’t work to get their own credit card accounts.  The Credit Card Act of 2009 broadly requires credit card companies to take “the ability of the consumer to make the required payments” into account when deciding whether to approve an application.

A 2013 amendment added by federal regulations surrounding the Card Act expanded the definition of one’s ability to pay so that people 21 and older can include any income to which they have a “reasonable expectation of access.” This can include income from a spouse, partner or other member of your household. It can also include non-wage income, such as savings, trust fund distributions, unemployment compensation and others, provided you have reasonable expectation of access.

The law now specifies that your spouse’s income is as good as your own independent income when it comes to applying for a credit card.

You need not inform them that you are a stay at home mom with no independent income.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks RobertEG. You helped me early with a question about my hubbys report lol.

So what do I mark where they ask your profession?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know what I would list as my profession on a card app?
Message 6 of 10
Kree
Established Contributor

Is it a drop down list, or a fill in the blank?

If drop down, I would select "Other".  I have to do this constantly as my profession is rarely listed.

If a fill in the blank, I'm not sure. but if you don't want to put unemployed, I might suggest "self-employed" or a joke like "VP of home operations".

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The implementing federal regulations suggest that you provide the source of income as the "occupation."

Under the rules, the source of the income is legally the consideration of whether the income is "accessible household income."

I would recommend simply making that statement in any box requesting your occupation, as it clearly states the source of the income as defined under the federal reg.  See the final CFPB regulation at https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201304_cfpb_credit-card-ability-to-pay-final-rule.pdf

That will alert the creditor to your reliance on household income as your source and implied "occupation" without need to invent some statement of occupation that is not really an approval factor under the regs, and clearly then alerts them to make any inquiry sanctioned under the federal regs as to your showing that the income is reasonably accessible.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accessible household income!

Perfect Robert! I just wanted to make I wasn't breaking any rules.
I'm going to wait until I've been AU on hubbys disco card for a few months then try for my own secured card through them as well. I really don't need credit but if anything should ever happen to hubby (uggh I hated typing that) I would want enough credit history to at least be okay.

Thanks again Robert, you are a treasure trove of information ☺
Message 9 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your daughter, however, this is the most important 'job' you will ever have.  

Can your DH add you to a couple of cards as AU or both of you sign up for a 'joint' card.  That's basically how I got my husband started.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.