cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATE TAX LIEN? How to get it removed from my CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: STATE TAX LIEN? How to get it removed from my CR?

Wow, im happy to see that you have good credit now. This sucks because we had the accountant working on it and they placed it at around the same time.... I'm going to try and find some way to get it off. Could you tell me what methods you tried to get it removed?

@justrock wrote:

I had one in NYS.  There is no mechanism that I've found to  have it removed, whether paid or not.  Each state is different and in NY you have to wait until it falls off.  There was some legislation pending a couple of  years ago to change that but nothing has come of it.  Mine came right after a bankruptcy, I was SO BROKE I couldn't pay $130 dollars and NYS  would not give me a payment plan.  The tax lien on top of my bankruptcy ruined my chances of rebuilding for a very long time.  

Message 11 of 16
justrock
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, im happy to see that you have good credit now. This sucks because we had the accountant working on it and they placed it at around the same time.... I'm going to try and find some way to get it off. Could you tell me what methods you tried to get it removed?

There is no mechanism that I've found to have it removed. 

There isn't anything to try.  It's a public record and in NYS tax liens stay on  your report.  Some states will allow it to be removed once paid. NYS does not.  

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. I read once paid within the first year it would be removed in 5 years? I do remember someone mentioning they got it removed... have to look further into that.

Message 13 of 16
justrock
Frequent Contributor

NYS allows paid collections to be removed after five years, rather than seven.  Public records are a different animal.  That's not to say you are incorrect, maybe there is something but I've never come across it.  Mine had an error that I disputed.  I fought to have the error corrected and the CRAs just took the deregatory off.  It is still on my Lexis Nexis report though (but corrected). Fortunately that is not hurting my credit.  

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@justrock wrote:

NYS allows paid collections to be removed after five years, rather than seven.  Public records are a different animal.  That's not to say you are incorrect, maybe there is something but I've never come across it.  Mine had an error that I disputed.  I fought to have the error corrected and the CRAs just took the deregatory off.  It is still on my Lexis Nexis report though (but corrected). Fortunately that is not hurting my credit.  

Thanks. What kind of error did you find? Just so I know what to look for. And when you say you fought to have it removed, did you file a dispute? Was it a lot of back and forth?

Message 15 of 16
justrock
Frequent Contributor

The lien was reporting twice, once under the docket # and once under the warrant#, so it showed as two seperate liens. I knew I had only owed the one year and both entries were for the exact same amount.   I got a copy of the warrant from the court it was filed in and sent it, along with copies of my credit reports and Lexis Nexis report,  to the CFPB asking to have the info corrected.  Lexis Nexis corrected it, the CRA's deleted.  It's been 10 months or so now, so I don't see it showing up again at this point since the lien was filed in 2008 for the tax year 2006.  Sheer luck on the deletion.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.