Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATE TAX LIENs

tag
ragensk8r
Valued Member

STATE TAX LIENs

I have a few STATE tax liens from West Virginia on all 3 of my CRs. These are the only thing killing my score, and I know the Fresh Start Program is for federal liens only, I was just wondering if ANYONE has had any luch with getting state liens removed. All the liens are paid and released. Thank you for the help in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: STATE TAX LIENs

I had a couple of MD state paid tax liens reporting to TU and EQ, sent an email to the state comptroller's office stating something like requesting to vacate/withdraw the public record on the paid liens. Majortiy of the time they will respond and honor your request.  If so, they will also send letters to the credit bureaus requesting to remove and send a copy to you for your records.  

Message 2 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

It really depends on the state as to whether or not they would be willing to withdraw the liens based on them being paid you can check state law to see if its allowed and if you cant find it there you can check with the entity that filed the lien directly to see if they would withdraw them for you.

Message 3 of 9
800ficogirl
Regular Contributor

State liens are nearly impossible to rid.. It's been 6 years and I recently paid it in full and it reset the clock another 7 years. I shouldve just left it alone. Good luck.

Starting Score: 524
Current Score:672-709
Goal Score:800

WellsFargo $2700 - NF Rewards Visa Signature $5000 - NF Rewards $3200 - Barclay $5500 - Walmart $3500- Sleep center $2000 - Cap One Quick Silver $4500 - Khols $300- HHGreggs $3000 - NFCU Checking Line $15,000 - Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying a tax lien does not "reset" the clock.

There is no clock running until a tax lien is paid.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a satisfied state tax lien expunged from the the public record this week, and am in the process of sending dispute documents to all 3 CRA's.  I live in South Carolina and, like most of us on this site, am trying to repair my credit.  After HOURS and DAYS of research, I happened upon a newsletter from a local attorney's office regarding tax liens.  It pointed me to the state code of laws where I found my answer.  I called the state Department of Revenue and within 10 minutes they were processing the expungment. 

It took another 20+ days for the official paperwork to make it to the local Register of Deeds office, but I was in contact with them and asked for a copy of the "filed" status so I could send to the bureaus.  Now it's just a waiting game.

I would definitely check your state's Code of Laws for anything concerning tax liens.  This is what South Carolina's says:

SECTION 12-58-165. Expungement of a recorded lien.

The department may take necessary action to expunge the recording of any lien imposed pursuant to Section 12-54-120, or any other provision authorizing the department to collect monies due, once the lien is fully paid and satisfied. If, upon investigation, the department determines that no taxes were due, the provisions of this section apply and the recorded lien shall be expunged as if it were fully paid and satisfied.
HISTORY: 2013 Act No. 90, Section 2, eff June 13, 2013.

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 9
dt3813
Regular Contributor

I was able to get my MS state Tax lien off TU. I wrote detailed explanation of how I did it. If you search you should find it. I tried writing to everyone (comptroller, AG, etc), but what eventually worked is that the MS IRS tax lien website has a paragraph that says basically we can't tell the CB to erase it, but you can send the release and ask them to and we agree. I printed that page from their website, highlighted it and wrote a letter requesting it removed and TU did it. I think the AG office was willing to help, but I had it removed without needing them. Good luck.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 7 of 9
dt3813
Regular Contributor

This is exactly what it says in the FAQ on the MS state tax lien website. I printed this info, highlighted the part that says it may be removed and they did it.

How can I get a lien removed from the credit bureau report?
The Department of Revenue does not report lien information directly to the credit bureau agencies. However, the tax lien and the cancellation of the lien are considered public information once enrolled on the State Tax Lien Registry. The Department of Revenue does not govern the credit bureau agency’s policy regarding the length of time or the accuracy of the information they keep on a credit bureau report. When a lien against you is cancelled, the Department of Revenue sends you a Lien Cancellation Notice. You may send a copy of this notice to the credit bureau(s) and ask them to to modify or to remove a lien from a credit bureau report.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed disputes to remove the expunged lien on 7/14, and so far Equifax is the only one to remove it...and with the 5 year old lien gone, and 1 old derog cc account removed, my score immediately went up 60 points from 658 to 732!  I am so excited to see my hard work pay off Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.