cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUCCESS STORY: From being sued by Amex to getting approved for a PLATINUM card

tag
800Hopeful

SUCCESS STORY: From being sued by Amex to getting approved for a PLATINUM card

Hey guys, I just wanted to share a photo with you to give you guys some hope. About 15 months ago, I was making a settlement with Amex because they sued me in court for the amount I owed them (wasn't a huge amount and was frankly kid of surprised they filed suit as it was only $12K). I figured I probably screwed up having any kind of decent relationship with Amex for a long time. But I had two accounts with Amex that went into default: one was for the $12K they were suing me over and there was another card with just a $1,000 balance. I handled that seperately and an Amex rep said they'd give me the Optima card if I paid that one off in full. So figuring that was my way back in the door with Amex, I figured out a way to pay the full $1,000 and paid that card off in full. 

Fast forward a year later. I used the Optima card very conservatively and always paid it off in full each month. Then, a couple of weeks ago I called Amex to ask if they could covert my Optima to a Blue card (as I've heard others have done in the past). Turns out I was told that I'd have to apply seperately for it, but I wouldn't be approved for any other Amex product while the Optima account was open. So I cancelled the card. And yet, at the same time, the rep cautioned me while I was cancelling it that there's no guarantee I'll be approved for another Amex product. I took the risk.

A few days later (waited a few days to make sure the account cancellation made it through their system fully), I applied for the Amex Platinum card. I honestly thought my chances of getting approved were slim. 60 seconds later, the online page said I was approved! WOW!

Talk about a come back... I had a 605 FICO 15 months ago and couldn't get approved for credit to buy so much as a cardboard box. Now I have an Amex Platinum (as well as a few other credit cards with limits totalling over 50K).

There is hope guys! I just wanted to post this so you guys who are where I was 15 months ago know that with enough work and sheer determination, you CAN repair your credit in a pretty short amount of time and get it back up to the higher levels where you don't get turned down for credit! 

Don't give up!

[MOD CUT- PERSONAL CC'S IMAGES CANNOT BE POSTED]

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: SUCCESS STORY: From being sued by Amex to getting approved for a PLATINUM card

congrats!!! thanks for posting Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 8
down_n_out
Contributor

Re: SUCCESS STORY: From being sued by Amex to getting approved for a PLATINUM card

Congrats.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing! Thanks for the insight.
Message 4 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

That's great!  Glad you have been able to rebound.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 6 of 8
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

Congrats!!! There is something about having an amex or even a discover card in your wallet that makes you feel like you really "made it". That's a goal I'm working toward!

Message 7 of 8
800Hopeful

Totally true! Not sure why that is, but I definitely feel like getting the Amex Platinum card was final confirmation that I've officially repaired my credit!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.