Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Forbearance

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Sallie Mae Forbearance

Hi all,

Had an issue with Sallie Mae loans not being paid so my credit report is (accurately) showing those lates, however I have had the loans in forbearance for a year and a half but all of the loans (6 separate ones for 6 semesters of schooling... ugh) are showing Current Status as 90+ days late, even though the payment history shows "OK" for the last year and a half. Is this correct?? It doesn't seem to me that it is, but I'm looking for some clarification from all of you experts. Smiley Happy

Also, if it is not correct, would it be better to dispute with the CRA, or go directly to Sallie Mae? My understanding is SM is not very easy to deal with in regards to the information they report on CRs.

If, however, the current status is showing correctly, what do I need to do to get it to show as not being late? I'm assuming this Current Status is keeping my score down, particularly since it's on 6 loans!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
esme
Regular Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Forbearance

90 days late does not sounds like an accurate current status to me. Accounts that I have been late on before, but have paid on time since those lates show a status of "Paying as agreed" even though the payment history will show what months in which the late payments occurred. SM is difficult to GW, but they are open to disputes and will correct things that are being reported inaccurately. Contact their Customer Advocate Department. 888-545-4199 

I've had luck with them, hopefully you will too. Keep us posted.

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Customer Advocate Department? Is this good cop/bad cop with Sallie Mae?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 3 of 4
esme
Regular Contributor

The CSR who researched my case, I felt, really went to bat for me. They don't make the final decision on whether to grant or deny a request to delete late payment history. They are not the ones who have the authority to do so. The CSRs in this department speak to the customer, obtain their statements on what caused the late payments and/or delinquencies, and they go back into the history of the account to find anything that might support the customer's case for a deletion. They submit their findings to Sallie Mae's credit bureau department and present the request for a deletion on behalf of the customer (if the results of their investigation warrants a deletion). SM's credit bureau department has the final say. From my experience, SM does NOT do GWs and they really do stand by that policy. They only approved my requests for deletion because my CSR was able to present her findings in a way that made the late payments the fault of SM and not mine. In my case, I had applied for a forbearance for two loans that I have with them, they only applied it to one loan. They took the blame and deleted my lates for that time period. Hope that helps.

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.