Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae GW denied - Need Advice

tag
tacoblade
Valued Member

Sallie Mae GW denied - Need Advice

I sent a GW email to the customer advocate unit at Sallie Mae to remove some late payments from 2010. I received a callback from an advocate today, and she stated that they are required to report the data pursuant to the Higher Education Act of 1965, and that they must abide by that since it preceded the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Looking at HEA Section 430A, I am not seeing verbiage that dictates eligible lenders / servicers are required by law to report anything to the CRAs; however, my legalese is way out of whack. Can anyone confirm that lenders are absolutely required to report, according to the HEA? 

Another interesting tidbit the advocate shared with me is that Sallie Mae only furnishes 24 months worth of historical payment data to the CRAs... she suggested that, since my late payments were over 2 years old, that I try a dispute with the CRAs for deletion... however, I suspect that whatever automagical system Sallie Mae has in place would just kick the dispute back as verified. 

If anyone has contact information for higher ups at Sallie Mae, please PM me.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tacoblade
Valued Member

Re: Sallie Mae GW denied - Need Advice

bump. anyone?

Message 2 of 6
GoldenEye
Established Member

Out of curiousity, what ended up happening with this? What did you do? I'm having a similar issue

Message 3 of 6
tacoblade
Valued Member

I'm still fighting with Sallie Mae to remove the late marks. I tried going through the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman's office, but they were not able to help. I just sent another letter to Sallie Mae's customer advocate office, explaining in great detail why the negative reporting is innacurate, along with all the supporting documentation I have. It's frustrating because they refuse to correct their own reporting errors, but I haven't given up yet Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
denver133
Frequent Contributor

I have sent 2 letters per month to Sallie Mae with regards to my lates I have with them for the past year.   Currently I am up to date with them, however my first 90 late won't be at the 2 year mark until next April.  I might try a dispute then as I received the same message about the 24 month thing as well.  

Keep sending. I have been passed around from advocate to advocate.  Someone is bound to say yes.  

My Cards: CSP: $5,000 // Hyatt: $5,000 // Cap1 Venture: $5,000 // US Bank Plat: $3,500 // Discover: $1,000 // AMEX BCE: $1,000 // Lowes: $5,500 // Furniture Row: $3,500 // Buckle Store Card: $750

Current MyFico Scores: EX 687 EQ 696 TU 687 Gardening from 5/15 till 5/16

Message 5 of 6
tacoblade
Valued Member

Yep, persistence is definitely key. In my case, they are reporting 90-180 days late on each loan, on random months, when I was not actually 90-180 days late. Much confusion in the reporting after my loans came out of forbearance.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.