cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae/Navient late removal success's??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae/Navient late removal success's??

I have had a student loan since 2008. It's right around $1600 and I just made my first payment on it about 2 weeks ago. I enrolled in a school that I found out shortly thereafter wasn't fully accredited and actually wound up closing. I went for like 2 weeks tops. I felt like I shouldn't owe anything so I just kept getting forebearance after forebearance on the loan all these years. There were a few times the forebearance expired and I had some lates reported. I finally decided this loan isn't going to go away despite me calling and explaining to them there's no way I should owe anytihng, I only went to school for 2 weeks. Any money the dispersed to the school should have been returned, I returned all my books etc. SO now I'm paying the stupid thing and would like to have my late's removed. What are the chances? Especially with my situation... How should I go about asking the lates to be removed?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sallie Mae/Navient late removal success's??

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had a student loan since 2008. It's right around $1600 and I just made my first payment on it about 2 weeks ago. I enrolled in a school that I found out shortly thereafter wasn't fully accredited and actually wound up closing. I went for like 2 weeks tops. I felt like I shouldn't owe anything so I just kept getting forebearance after forebearance on the loan all these years. There were a few times the forebearance expired and I had some lates reported. I finally decided this loan isn't going to go away despite me calling and explaining to them there's no way I should owe anytihng, I only went to school for 2 weeks. Any money the dispersed to the school should have been returned, I returned all my books etc. SO now I'm paying the stupid thing and would like to have my late's removed. What are the chances? Especially with my situation... How should I go about asking the lates to be removed?

Im not versed in SLs but you would use GW letters to the reporting entity in an attempt to get the lates commuted. Here is the GW Letter thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Lates are pretty old if that matters also. Like 3-5 years old.
Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
The Lates are pretty old if that matters also. Like 3-5 years old.

Typically the older the lates the better chance of them doing what you ask, I will also warn you of the law of unintended consequences, sometimes one can end up with a worse reporting (lates not previously reported now report, 120 days ends up 180 days etc.). Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
cassett
Contributor

have you looked in to loan forgivness? Im pretty sure they will forgive the loan if the school closed on you while where attending. This is only with Goverment issued loans though.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/closed-school

Scroll down to discharge criteria

Starting Score: EQ 8/14 545
Current Score: EQ 640
Goal Score:650 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.