Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Not Updating Student Loan Defaults

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae Not Updating Student Loan Defaults

Equifax updated the status to Account Transferred or Sold;Claim Filed With Government; Balance Paid or Being Paid by Insurance Company; Variable/Adjustable Rate.

So they left the original status/information and added what I told them in the little online disput box on to the beginning showing it was transferred or sold, as it should be since I consolidated.  Left the other status and left all the late pay status.

So I have compiled a list of documents showing who the lender was, who the servicer was, who the Guaranty Agent was, provided that information to both Equifax and Experian now and have written a letter of dispute to include to the credit bureaus that state no where in the documents I have for any of my student loans is it ever referenced the default was cured by Government Claim/Insurance and that it only references the consolidation efforts.  I also reference that the Guarnty Agency is the one who made the offer of removing all late and negative information from the reports since they were the ones performing the rehabilitations. 

I further referenced the FTC ruling against Sallie Mae in regards to how they applied payments to maximize late fees and incur late payaments on accounts during this time frame.  I also pointed out, that none of the documents for the NSLDS or my Consolidation list Sallie Mae as a Guarantor, Creditor, Agent, Agency or as haivng anyting to do with the loans and requested the accounts be completely removed.

I guess I wait and see what the two counter disputes I've made do.

At the end of the day, I also can prove that the 8 Sallie Mae accounts are a direct correlation to the 8 Citi Student Loan accounts still reporting and that Sallie Mae claims information, posted dates (loan open dates, loan default dates) that occured while Citi still had control over the accounts.

Message 11 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Note that the CFPB recently singled out Sallie Mae as being under scrutiny for repeated past violations of their reporting of student loans.

See a post of approx 6-8 months ago in the Student Loans forum.

I would recommend sending all of your documentation to the CFPB, as it may be of particular interest to them in their review......

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Note that the CFPB recently singled out Sallie Mae as being under scrutiny for repeated past violations of their reporting of student loans.

See a post of approx 6-8 months ago in the Student Loans forum.

I would recommend sending all of your documentation to the CFPB, as it may be of particular interest to them in their review......

That is next on my list if this doesn't clear it up.  I may well do that anyway, who knows, it might help someone else out.

Message 13 of 16
Bravoholic

I have 3 student loan accounts with them that were negateive in 2008, but was rehabed through Direct Student loans 9/2008. All 3 loans are showing 120 days late but are listed as "account closed". Since they are listed as account closed they do not have a date for removal (sucks!), so now I'm stuck with these bad remarks (of course on all 3 CR). Could you please tell me how you were able to successfully get Sallie Mae to remove negatives? Did you dispute them through the Credit bureau (if dispute which reason did you use) or did you contact them directly? Also, I am afraid that if I dispute them Sallie Mae will just update them? Please help. This has been hendering me credit score for the longest.

If anybody has any suggestions please post or contact me. Thanks!

Experian 663, Equifax 650, Transunion 676

Message 14 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Disputing is certainly an appropriate step in order to get the issue before them, and compel an investigation.

However, the dispute process does not compel the furnisher to document their finding or prove the accuracy.

They must investigate and make a finding.

Thus, the dispute process wont provide consideration of evidence in contested disputes.  It is not a full legal proceeding with any judges.

If you feel your evidence speaks for itself, then a complaint to the CFPB may be adequate.

Evidence provided by only one party is usually not adequate, and is usually subject to interpretation.

If the evidence is either incomplete of requires interpretation, then you will most likely need a court/judge, and thus civil action to resolve.

Message 15 of 16
Bravoholic

Could you PM me the fax as well. I'm having problems with them also.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.