Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same account with two different account numbers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been working to clean up my credit for a while and got a notification of a account being added from Credit Karma and a 50 point score drop. So I panic and pull my report.

I have a charge off account that has been on my report since 2006 with  a account balance of $7,859.00, with a open date of 01/24/2006, acct # 9001010038573**** 

The notification was for the same charge off account with a balance of 7,859, with a open date of 04/24/2006, acct # 18600****.

The name of the creditor is the same, the account type is the same, they both are closed and charged off. The difference is the account number and the open date.

Also I disputed with EQ and was told it was deleted, what I noticed yesterday it is now listed under the newer account number (9001010038573****). Can they do that?

I know this is confusing because it is for me.  Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Same account with two different account numbers

One of the accounts, is not a collection account correct?

Was a CA, ever associated with the debt?

Would need more info.............

What type of account is this? CC, loan etc.

When is it due to drop off your CR?

Are you passed your States SOL?

When did you dispute with EQ?   Did you dispute both accounts?

Also, is EQ the only CRA reporting both accounts?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, this account has never been with a CA, it's the OC reporting

It's a auto loan, that is currently charged off. It doesn't drop off until 2014. SOL has passed.

I disputed with EQ in June got the results July. At the time of dispute there was only one account (186****),

No all 3 are reporting this account TU is the agency that is reporting it twice.

Message 3 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Are you sure it was deleted, as a result of the dispute?

If so, the CRA must follow certain rules, for the item to be reinserted. IF the CRA doesn't, then it's a violation.

Here's a thread that can give you more info, ok maybe a few threads.  Hope this helpsSmiley Wink

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/CO-deletions/td-p/1381889

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/reinsertion-of-collection-after-1-day/m-p/1350...

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am positive it was deleted, I have the dispute results saying it would be deleted and also reports from different times a month that show it gone then show it back again under a different account number.
Message 5 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Call TU or send them this letter. Keep us informed, Good LuckSmiley Wink

I am requesting that you investigate the items listed below.

Name of account, account number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. This item has not been reported properly. After looking at past and present credit reports it has come to my attention that you have allowed this item to be reinserted into my credit file after it had been deleted. Based on the credit report dates the period during which this reinsertion took place was between XX/XX/XX and XX/XX/XX.

Pursuant to the FCRA, I'd like to be provided with copies of the certification required for reinsertion for this account.

Under the FCRA Section 611(a)(5)((ii) ". . . . reinserted in the file, the consumer reporting agency shall notify the consumer of the reinsertion in writing not later than
5 business days after the reinsertion or, if authorized by the consumer for that purpose, by any other means available to the agency.
(iii) Additional information. As part of, or in addition to, the notice under clause (ii), a consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer in writing not later than 5 business days after the date of the reinsertion
(I) a statement that the disputed information has been reinserted;
(II) the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available, or of any furnisher of information that contacted the consumer reporting agency, in connection with the reinsertion of such information; . . . ."

I was not so notified. I am disputing this item. I will allow you 15 days to furnish this information, however if you do not provide the information requested, you must delete this account as required by the FCRA. Please send me a copy of my updated credit report after you have completed this request.

Message 6 of 10
xdunlapx

I have the same problem. I have a collections account that has two different account number (with the same collections agency) for one debt I incurred. I need to write that letter to Equifax. I can't pull my other credit reports because I pulled them in May and lost the PDF's of them. I tried through annualcreditreport.com and calling the Equifax phone number which allows you to pull all 3 reports. I got 3 letters stating that they couldn't pull them for me since I pulled them in May, event hough I was turned down for credit.. What a bunch of boloney.

Anyway, I will have to dispute it with the reporting agencies.

Message 7 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@xdunlapx wrote:

I have the same problem. I have a collections account that has two different account number (with the same collections agency) for one debt I incurred. I need to write that letter to Equifax. I can't pull my other credit reports because I pulled them in May and lost the PDF's of them. I tried through annualcreditreport.com and calling the Equifax phone number which allows you to pull all 3 reports. I got 3 letters stating that they couldn't pull them for me since I pulled them in May, event hough I was turned down for credit.. What a bunch of boloney.

Anyway, I will have to dispute it with the reporting agencies.

Hi and Welcome to the forums,

The above letter is for, an item that was previously dispute and deleted. Then the item was reinserted again, by the CRA.

This letter is not for your situation, try disputing with the CRA first.

Message 8 of 10
xdunlapx

That makes sense. I did just dispute it with Equifax online. Hopefully it'll be taken care of. But the accounts will drop off next year anyway so it's not a big deal if it's not fixed. I just hate having to dispute it. I should have paid it a long time ago but I've not been able to work since 2006. So I've not had any income during that time period. I think I'll just wait and see how it plays out with the CRA. It'll drop off soon enough anyway.

Message 9 of 10
igdycsmG6
Regular Contributor

I also have  same accounts (two) with different account numbers (both are the original credior), one account is a open student loan account with no lates that we are currently paying.  The other account is also a student loan but has a different account number, with lates, shows as close, zero balance and has the same creditor address.  The second one also says transfered.   What to do?

Starting Score: EQ:609
Current Score: 624
Goal Score: EQ:725

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.