cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same debt listed 4 times

tag
Ehi_Figaro

Same debt listed 4 times

I defaulted in 2007 on a credit card. That debt has changed hands a few times pparently, as it is listed on my credit report by no less than 4 companies. All have different dates, the first due to come off this May and the last in 2014. Is there anything i can do about this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Same debt listed 4 times

First off, I would send a DV to all the CAs that are listed on your CR.  Secondly, is the OC reporting?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is not uncommon for multiple parties to report on delinquent accounts.

It is not acutally the reporting of multiple debt.

The original creditor can report any derogs that occured on their account.  Derogs are the result of a delinquent debt, and dont reflect the debt itself.

If the OC still owns the debt, they can refer to collection, and their assigned debt collector can then additionally report their collection.  The reported collection does not represent that the debt collector owns the debt, but merely that they have collection authoirity to attempt its collection.

If a debt collector's agrreement with the OC is terminated, the debt collector must then report a $0 amount still under their collection, and close their collection account with the CRA.  They arent required to delete it.  If the OC then assigns to a new debt collector, that debt collector can also report their collection.

If the OC sells the debt, the purchaser can report their collection, and the amount under their collection also becomes the amount of debt owed to them.

The purchaser can then assign the debt to a second debt collector, who can also report.  If a new debt collector reports, then debt collector 1 must report $0 under their collection, and close their collection.  However, both collections can remain in the consumer's credit report.

Lots of scenarios where muiltiple acts to collect on the same debt can all simultaneosly remain in the consumer's credit report.

However, all collections become excluded from a consumer's credit report on the same date, which is 7 years plus 180 days from the date-certain DOFD on the OC account which created the debt.

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

According to the Credit Reporting Resource Guide, a 3rd party CA who sends the debt back to the OC MUST delete their TL.

A JDB who sales/transfers to another MUST delete their TL.

Message 4 of 5
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.