MePlusThree
Established Member

Sample DV Good/Bad?

(date)

(Collection Agency Name)
(address)

Re: (Account Number)

To Whom it May Concern,

Upon review of my TransUnion credit report, I discovered that your organization has reported a debt. Pursuant to 15 U.S.C. § 1692(g) of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). I am requesting validation of this alleged debt. Please understand that I am not requesting verification, but validation pursuant to the cited section of the FDCPA. Please provide me with evidence that I owe this debt, as well as the name of the original creditor.

Thank you,

What do we think???

FAKOS: TU 663 EX 668 EQ 685
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Sample DV Good/Bad?

There is nothing in the FDCPA that states they must prove you owe the debt.  They are required to state how much is owed and who is collecting.  If you specifically ask, they have to give you the name of the OC and their address.  They are validating a debt is owed, not verifying you owe it.

Message 2 of 4
MePlusThree
Established Member

So pretty much if my credit report says who the OC was and a balance DV is pointless?

FAKOS: TU 663 EX 668 EQ 685
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, it has nothing to do with your credit report.  A DV letter starts the cease collection bar and the CA cannot do any type of collecting until they vaildate.  No updating, no phone calls, no letters etc.

If you know the debt is yours and you just want it gone, you can jump straight to a PFD.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.