Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample GW letter for a paid Collection

tag
Flagpole
Established Member

Sample GW letter for a paid Collection

Hi All,

Does anyone have a sample GW letter that has worked to remove an old paid collection?  I have 2 that are 5-6 years old that I am trying to get removed.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sample GW letter for a paid Collection

GW letters have, as their basis, the reason for enticing them to do a GW deletion, and thus are not amenable to sample or standard letters.

Message 2 of 9
Flagpole
Established Member

Not looking to copy a sample letter, just looking for the approach folks have taken in gw letters specifically to CAs.  Lots of examples of letters used have been posted on the forums with approaches for different situations, this request is not different.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd also be curious to see a sample, as I need to write one... but have never seen one before, so really have no idea what to include in one.

Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

OP, while GW letters can easily come from a template, your best GW letters will be the ones you create from scratch. I've always drafted my GWs after two things: 1) What happened to get myself there and 2) what do I want to see happen as a result of the letter. There are two things you need to know about the audience: 1) they hate to read, and 2) they don't care about you (I don't mean that in a bad sense. They read dozens of sob stories on a daily basis and they are numb to this by this point).

IMO, when writing to a paid CA, tell them in a couple of sentences max that you went through a crisis or faced issues (e.g. loss of job, death in family, divorce, forgot to pay it, whatever....but be honest) and tell them you learned or you recovered quickly and that you made it right by paying it (mention in full if that's the case. Don't mention that you settled it, but say that you paid it). Then start a new paragraph and in 1-2 sentences tell the reader what you want done (e.g. "I am writing today to repsectfully request a deletion of this account from my three credit reports" or something like that). And maybe wrap it up with a sentence like, "your removal would go a long way in helping us get our first mortgage" or something like that.

Conclude with a sign-off like "respectfully yours" or "thank you". And type your name. Somewhere in the letter, be sure to include your full name, address, and e-mail if you want to reveal that. Also include any account numbers that the CA used if available. Unlike a DV letter, you really want to be friendly and helpful to the CA and provide info to link back to you like an account number.

Message 5 of 9
Flagpole
Established Member

Very helpful llecs, thanks!  Again, I am not looking for a template to copy and fill in the blanks.  What I am looking for are proven examples that have worked, or the elements of letters that have worked like what you have provided to use in crafting my own letters. 

Message 6 of 9
millerjd

The one below just got 2 removed for me. Had 3 more removed by email.

Name and address

Dear Creditor,

Re: Account Numbers and Info

Acct# xxxxxxxx    Amount $144.00

Acct# xxxxxxxx     Amount $36.00

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter in order to request your help and understanding. I currently have insurance through my employer. I had some medical issues and needed care in 2009. I was not aware of my insurance did not cover the full balances. I then did not have the funds to take care of the accounts. The accounts were sold to your company. I pulled my credit and seen it on my reports. I paid both the accounts as soon as I could, which was in the beginning of 2010. My family and I are currently trying to obtain a mortgage for a home. The accounts are showed “Paid” but still are collection accounts and hurting my credit scores. I only need 15 more points to qualify for the loan. I would like to request that your company have some mercy on me and please make a “Goodwill Adjustment” and remove both accounts from the credit reporting agencies. Your kind gesture would be sincerely appreciated by my family and me. I would like to thank you in advance for any help you may provide. You may contact me through my address above or email at ………………….or by phone at …………… (would prefer email).  Thank you again!

Yours truly,

xxxxxxxxx

Message 7 of 9
Flagpole
Established Member

millerjd, did they reply to you or did the TLs just disappear?

Message 8 of 9
millerjd

They called me and said that they just wanted to let me know that they will delete them for me, since they were paid. They also said they appreciated my kindness. The ones I emailed I basically got the same response by email. The emails and letter were both sent to the CEO of the CA.   

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.