Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander Credit Reporting

tag
pattybear
Established Member

Santander Credit Reporting

In 2014, I paid off an auto loan with Santander.  I had accumulated some late fees that were owing at the end of the loan (no 30 day lates)  After the end of loan date, they kept sending monthly statements, with regular payment amount due, which I paid, to finish paying off the late fees.   Well, turns out the few months they did that, they were recording me late, even though I was making a payment they were asking for on the statment    So they reported to the credit bureau that I was 60 to 89 days late the same month my account was paid in full and closed!   I've written letters to them and tried disputing it with the credit bureaus.  It's the only bad thing on my credit report and now it won't be off until 2021!  Any suggestions on how to get this removed?  It seems so unfair!!  TIA!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Santander Credit Reporting

@pattybear wrote:

In 2014, I paid off an auto loan with Santander.  I had accumulated some late fees that were owing at the end of the loan (no 30 day lates)  After the end of loan date, they kept sending monthly statements, with regular payment amount due, which I paid, to finish paying off the late fees.   Well, turns out the few months they did that, they were recording me late, even though I was making a payment they were asking for on the statment    So they reported to the credit bureau that I was 60 to 89 days late the same month my account was paid in full and closed!   I've written letters to them and tried disputing it with the credit bureaus.  It's the only bad thing on my credit report and now it won't be off until 2021!  Any suggestions on how to get this removed?  It seems so unfair!!  TIA!

This would fall under the fair credit billing act (FCBA). RobertEG has mentioned many times that FCBA actually has more "teeth" in it. Hopefully he will chime in on this and give you some advice.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is an installment loan.

Only revolving credit is covered under the FCBA.

File a civil action challenging the verification of your dispute, asserting a lack of reasonable investigation based on your documentation that it was paid.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having almost the same issue with Santander on a mortgage. We refinanced and we have made every payment, but they are reporting the old account number as not paid in 120 days. I called Santander and they seemed oblivious and told me to write them a letter with a complaint. I have also disputed with the CRA's and included copies of the payments. I would love to sue them on some violation...just not fair that they do this to people and get away with it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They dinged me for a 30 on the month my vehicle was paid off. Probably the same stupid system. No such thing as goodwill in that house, in my experience. For me, a single 30 over a year old isn't worth pursuing.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.