Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SantanderLoanNeedOut

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SantanderLoanNeedOut

I have a loan with Santander that I began in 2012. The rate is hovering around 25% ( purchased the vehicle around divorce and was not educated ). Fast forward to today, my original balance was 13,423 and my current balance on the loan is 13,479, which is more than where I started. My payment now is 368.00 and the vehicle has tons of miles on it. I'm considering a voluntary reposession but of course, I don't want to make my credit worse. I did a lot to rebuild.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Re: SantanderLoanNeedOut

refi with carfinance.com, or a credit union. I was with Santander for a year and did a refi with carfinance I was at 24.99% with Santander and went down to 15.99 with carfinance. They are both not great rates but it was a start for me. 

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

I would refinance rather than have them repo the vehicle.

Do you qualify for any credit uniions?  Possibly a HELOC?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How the heck do you pay two years on an auto loan and have NONE of the principle paid down? Were any of the payments late? This makes no sense - something just does not add up - literally.

Message 4 of 8
js0319
Established Contributor

I agree, something doesn't add up. I would re-fi, if possible. Maybe you can try calling Santander and see if they can lower your rate. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is pre-computed, then the balance of the loan reflects all interest for the term as well.  

The balance would drop exactly the payment amount each month.

The payoff balance would be different from the account balance.

Again, it depends on how the loan was written.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If it is pre-computed, then the balance of the loan reflects all interest for the term as well.  

The balance would drop exactly the payment amount each month.

The payoff balance would be different from the account balance.

Again, it depends on how the loan was written.

@Anonymous, *that* makes sense. At $368 per month that would mean 36 more payments which sounds just about right for a 60 month,13K loan @Anonymous%

Payoff amount probably in the 8-10k range would be my geuss.

Underwater - you need to contact Santander and get your actual 10 day payoff amount to see what your actual principle amount is. A volunary Repo would be a REALLY bad idea, but depending on the blue book value you might be able to do a re-fi or even a trade-in if you have some cash to throw in the deal.

Message 7 of 8
JPeanut503
Frequent Contributor

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am in the same boat with Santander. I owe $13k and my payment are $377......I wanted to refiance through a credit union and was told the vehicle had too many mile to refi Smiley Sad

It has right over 100k on it and is a 2008. Really want to get rid of it and get something more reasonable.

Beginning myfico score watch 608 (4/4/14)
EQ 652 (9/17/14) myfico
TU 641 (9/17/14) myfico
EX 671 (9/17/14) myfico
**Goal Score: 700 across the board
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.