Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satisfaction of Judgement Received

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Satisfaction of Judgement Received

I received my copy of the satisfaction of judgement but the courthouse clerk says nothing filed yet. What do I do with this information? Do I wait for it to be filed before attempting to vacate? Do I send a copy of this to the CRA?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Satisfaction of Judgement Received

Contact the CA or OC that issued the Satisfaction to make sure they are going to record it. If they don't record it, then you record the Satisfaction (that's what I would do). Recording the Satisfaction keeps the CA/OC from selling your debt down the line and claiming it was never paid.

OTOH, I do hope you can get it vacated - not all states will allow you to vacate a paid judgment.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The judgment creditor is required under the rules of civil procedure to file notice of satisfaction with the court within a certain period.

The court requires notice from the judgment creditor, not the consumer/defendant.

I would call their attorney and advise that the court has informed you that the notice has not been filed.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if they don't file it within the timeframe they are supposed to do you think that would be grounds enough to have it vacated rather than just on the grounds it has been paid?
Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
So if they don't file it within the timeframe they are supposed to do you think that would be grounds enough to have it vacated rather than just on the grounds it has been paid?

No, IMO it would be grounds to sue the judgment creditor for failure to adhere to the law, and/or demand action against the judgment creditor by the court.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom. I am going to check with the court one more time to see if it has been filed yet and go from there Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.