cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satisfied Judgement FIled Date Wrong on CR - What should I do?

tag
MingleJill
Established Member

Satisfied Judgement FIled Date Wrong on CR - What should I do?

Illinois Judgement - I've satisfied this debt a few years ago.

Experian shows that the date filed is 5/5/09. Court records show it was filed 8/4/08.  So Experian is reporting this incorrectly.

Experian says it's due to fall off May '16, but by my estimate it should fall off 8/15. 

Date Satisfied is sometime in 2011. 

Questions:

1. When do paid judgments come off credit reports? I'm in illinois, so SOL is 7 years. Does it come off by DATE FILED or DATE SATISIFED?

please say it's date filed! Heart

2. What letter do I write to Experian to remove this? I don't want them just to correct the date filed, I want them to remove this whole thing. 

3. I've heard Illinois is fairly easy to get satisfied judgments vacated/removed from CRA and I'm comfortable researching this more/filing with the courts. In your opinion is it worth the hassle though? 

Starting Score Fakos Nov' 13: 570 EX, 567 EQ, 553 TU
Feb '14:: 647 FICO '08 Ex, 584 EQ fako, 614 TU (walmart)
Judgement vacated Jan '14. Working on the Repo and 6 more baddies!

**Had 1 $300 card in Nov '13. Now have $10k NFCU Visa! **
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Satisfied Judgement FIled Date Wrong on CR - What should I do?

FDCPA 605(a)(2) ckearky sets the 7 year exclusion period as running from the "date of entry" of the judgment, not its satisfaction.

It also does not apply to the date they filed their action, but rather to the date of its entry.

The only exclusion period based on date of satisfaction is for tax liens.

Take the date of the judgment, and add 7 years.  If the judgment still remains in your report after that date, you can file a complaint with the CRA for their violation of section 605(a)(2), and/or send that complaint to the CFPB.

If you wish to address their estimated exclusion date by sending a dispute, the issue would be that of what date they are basing the exclusion period upon.

Esimated dates are not per se disputable.

In any dispute, they can simply correct any inaccuracy.  The mere presence of an inaccuracy is not basis for compelling deletion.  Deletion is only mandated if they do not either verify or correct.  Thus, expect correction, not deletion.

Message 2 of 4
MingleJill
Established Member

Thank you RobertEG. 

Do you know anything about the whychat method of deletion? Can you PM me if you do?

Starting Score Fakos Nov' 13: 570 EX, 567 EQ, 553 TU
Feb '14:: 647 FICO '08 Ex, 584 EQ fako, 614 TU (walmart)
Judgement vacated Jan '14. Working on the Repo and 6 more baddies!

**Had 1 $300 card in Nov '13. Now have $10k NFCU Visa! **
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, I am not aware of such a process.

The normal process to get a juegment removed from your credit report, and thus scoring, requies that you obtain a vacature of the actual judgment from the court.

Unless the court itself vacates their judgment, efforts to get it removed are usually futile.

When you dispute, the CRA will handle the dispute without any involvement of others.  Under their reinvestigation right, they simply check with the court and see iif the public record still shows a judgement.  If so, they verify its accuracy based on the public record alone.

In your case, the only dispute I see with the CRA is if they clearly state their intent not to exclude the judgment until after 7 years from its date of satisfaction, as opposed to 7 years from its date of entry.  You can then address that intent prior to the exlusion period teminating, and thus make sure that they exclude at the proper time.

Statement of when they intend to exclude arent in and of themselves a violation of the FCRA.  Actual violation only occurs if they issue any credit report that still shows the judgment later than 7 years from its date of entry.  I would not wait for any actual violation if they state that they intend to commit one.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.