Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drop of 20 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Drop of 20 points

Smiley Sad I've been hovering in the 640s-650s range for almost a year now. I would assume that's because I can get no higher with the collections and baddies I currently have. Well I paid of my Cap One Auto loan (it was 16.49 APR) in early January and it just took 20pts off my Equifax this morning. Geez. I have other installment loans, but that was my only Auto Loan. It had to be paid though because that APR was just ridiculous (scores was in the 500s when I got it). I'm awaiting the pain to reflect in my other scores. Woe is me. *dramatically puts hand to head*

I guess credit is not a race. I'll get to 700s eventually (Or go crazy trying to Smiley LOL)

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Re: Score Drop of 20 points

What collections and baddies do you have?

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enough to do some damage, but difficult to deal with and get solved. Only time can heal most of these after college wounds. 

• 30 day late - Cap One from June 2013
  • Two 30 day lates and 60 day lates - Cap One from Apr-June 2010
  • Nine 120 day lates for a college Installment Loan 03/2014-11/2014 (Paid)
  • 6 Charged off SML Installement Loans (closed 11/2013) and 5 Collection Accounts to go with them (1 Settled, 1 Paid)
  • 1 Charged off JPMC Loan (02/2011)

Basically, a lot of loan issues. Most of this stuff is to drop off in and before 2020, but most of it (the logical stuff) I'm slowly taking care of. The car note payoff just smacked my Transunion a few minute ago as well by -11 points. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Personal Finance Accounts now have a balance of $0. So is that like only morgages and auto loans? That's what generating these decreases.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My Personal Finance Accounts now have a balance of $0. So is that like only morgages and auto loans? That's what generating these decreases.

I would suggest getting a small (no more than $500) secured personal loan from SDFCU, for the longest terms they will do (I did one last year for 36 months). Immediately pay it down to just under 10% remaining balance. Let it coast for the remainder of the term (you should not have a payment due for another 2 years or so), until the next payment comes due. That will give you points for credit mix, and points for having an installment balance below 90%.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Norman! I will look into that. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Norman (or anyone that can help)

I'm on the SDFCU site right now and there's an option for Personal Loan and a Share Secured Loan. Will either of thesetake my Personal Finance off of a $0 balance? Just want to make sure before I apply for either one. I'm guessing it would be the Shared just because I have a personal loan with my own personal CU right now and it is not counting as part of my Personal Finance balance. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 13
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Enough to do some damage, but difficult to deal with and get solved. Only time can heal most of these after college wounds. 

• 30 day late - Cap One from June 2013
  • Two 30 day lates and 60 day lates - Cap One from Apr-June 2010
  • Nine 120 day lates for a college Installment Loan 03/2014-11/2014 (Paid)
  • 6 Charged off SML Installement Loans (closed 11/2013) and 5 Collection Accounts to go with them (1 Settled, 1 Paid)
  • 1 Charged off JPMC Loan (02/2011)

Basically, a lot of loan issues. Most of this stuff is to drop off in and before 2020, but most of it (the logical stuff) I'm slowly taking care of. The car note payoff just smacked my Transunion a few minute ago as well by -11 points. 

I would get busy, very busy, with Goodwill letters to Cap 1 on the 30 day and 60 day lates.  If you've been on time with them since 2010 & 2013 you have a very good chance of getting them deleted.  Search on here for examples of Goodwill letters.  There are S#$^ tons of them .  Also, I'm willing to bet there are some of the baddies that are reporting inaccurate info. Start disputing them.   With some time and effort, you could really make some progress and see the scores rise.  Good luck

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Sad I've been hovering in the 640s-650s range for almost a year now. I would assume that's because I can get no higher with the collections and baddies I currently have. Well I paid of my Cap One Auto loan (it was 16.49 APR) in early January and it just took 20pts off my Equifax this morning. Geez. I have other installment loans, but that was my only Auto Loan. It had to be paid though because that APR was just ridiculous (scores was in the 500s when I got it). I'm awaiting the pain to reflect in my other scores. Woe is me. *dramatically puts hand to head*

I guess credit is not a race. I'll get to 700s eventually (Or go crazy trying to Smiley LOL)

What are the details of those other installment loans?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Norman (or anyone that can help)

I'm on the SDFCU site right now and there's an option for Personal Loan and a Share Secured Loan. Will either of thesetake my Personal Finance off of a $0 balance? Just want to make sure before I apply for either one. I'm guessing it would be the Shared just because I have a personal loan with my own personal CU right now and it is not counting as part of my Personal Finance balance. 

Thanks in advance!

Where are you seeing this "personal finance balance"?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.