Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score bump?

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Score bump?

So I got a score bump today.  I went from 588 to 593 which is obviously good news.  I'm confused, however, on why.   I paid down a CC to $0 balance and also opened a new store card with a $500 CL so I assumed these were the reason.  It says reason why are basically that some of the stuff reporting isn't affecting my scores as much.  Such as derogatorily and such.   It said nothing about the new, lowered balance. I had a $127 balance on a $500 CC but paid it down to $0.  I'm happy but really don't understand, I guess.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Re: Score bump?

bump

Message 2 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Probably came from the new card reporting already!!

Message 3 of 10
BikerMama
Established Member

I've found that time is your best friend when you are building your credit score. I think the "Stuff reporting isn't affecting" your score as much is what bumped your score. Twelve months of gardening (no applying for anything) got me a 30 point bump!! So maybe what ever derogatory info you had on there has had time to fall off Smiley Happy Congrats on the bump.

Starting Score: 747
Current Score: 797
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 10
Shellie
Valued Contributor

The card doesn't show up that I can see.  As far as things falling off, nothing has that I can tell. Should I pull a new report to see if anything has changed?

Your FICO® score has gone up to 593 on June 27, 2013.

Target score alert:Your FICO® score has exceeded your target score of 588.

Your FICO score may have gone up because the following 4 factors are not hurting your FICO score as much as before:
  • You have a public record or collection in addition to a serious delinquency on your credit report.
  • You have a short credit history.
  • You have a recent public record or collection on your credit report.
  • You have multiple accounts showing missed payments or derogatory descriptions.
Message 5 of 10
Shellie
Valued Contributor

bump

Message 6 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Could be your AAoA is getting longer. More positive accounts than neg ones. 

Message 7 of 10
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Shellie wrote:

The card doesn't show up that I can see.  As far as things falling off, nothing has that I can tell. Should I pull a new report to see if anything has changed?

Your FICO® score has gone up to 593 on June 27, 2013.

Target score alert:Your FICO® score has exceeded your target score of 588.

Your FICO score may have gone up because the following 4 factors are not hurting your FICO score as much as before:
  • You have a public record or collection in addition to a serious delinquency on your credit report.
  • You have a short credit history.
  • You have a recent public record or collection on your credit report.
  • You have multiple accounts showing missed payments or derogatory descriptions.

Unfortunately you'll find that SW always gives these vague kinds of reasons. It never states any real, obvious reason for your score going up. I definitely would NOT spend the money to pull a new report to find out why I gained a few points. You're best off to enjoy the increase and not worry about it.

Message 8 of 10
Shellie
Valued Contributor

That makes sense.   Maybe I'll get another boost soon from paying down util and opening another store card.  Thanks 

Message 9 of 10
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Usually it tells me something like a new open account or lower balance or something...I thought.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.