Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drop because of Windstream error

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score drop because of Windstream error

Here's the long and short of it, I cancelled my service with Windstream in December 09 and went to Comcast, paid my final bill to Windstream, in August I recieved a letter from a collection agency on behaf of Windstream saying I still needed to pay my final bill, Windstream never mailed out anything to me or called to tell me I owed them anything, so I called them and they said to mail them a copy of the cancelled check which I did and thought that's that. A month ago I got an email alert from My Fico saying a collection had been added to my report resulting in a 65 point drop in my credit score. I called Windstream and once again I had to mail them a copy of the cancelled check, It took 3 weeks for them to call me back and say it was their error and that they have contacted all credit reporting agencies. I checked my score yesterday and still no change. Will my score go back to where it was before they did this and if doesn't is there any action I can take against Windstream? I was just about to go and buy a car when this happened. I have worked so hard to get my score where it was 748 the highest it's ever been. I am so angry right now. What can I do? Thanks...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Score drop because of Windstream error

AOnce the collection is removed your score should return, there's no "memory" in scoring, the score is based on the data in your CR at the time it's pulled.  Don't let them try to show it as a piad collection or other derogatory.

You didn't get the fact it was their error in writing?  That would have helped but they're probably reluctant to make such an admission in writing.

I would call them, tell them you are being harmed by their inaccurate reporting and ask why they cannot get this done today.  It requires them to inform the CA that the collection was erroneous and get the CA to remove the TL today.  They can do it (the OC and CA) if they are motivated.

Call the CA, if you took down names, titles etc. in your conversations with the OC (Windstream) tell the CA it's a Windstream error and if they haven't  gotten that they need to.,  Follow up with a letter CMRRR.

Send written disputes CMRRR (don't dispute online) with the CRAs.  Tell them not to "parrot" via eOscar but they must provide the supporting information to the furnisher (the CA).  Include in your dispute letter the facts of who you spoke to at Windstream and when, who you spoke to at the CA and when, the cancelled check (cover up the account and routing number).

Here's a paragraph you can include in letters to the CRAs:

"I am aware that you are required to thoroughly investigate this dispute and precedent exists for me to recover damages if you merely parrot information or rely solely on eOscar, see Cushman v. Trans Union Corp., 115 F.3d 220, 225 (3d Cir.1997) ("The 'grave responsibility' imposed by § 1681i(a) must consist of something more than merely parroting information received from other sources. Therefore, a 'reinvestigation' that merely shifts the burden back to the consumer and the credit grantor cannot fulfill the obligations contemplated by the statute."); see also Henson v. CSC Credit Servs., 29 F.3d 280, 286-87 (7th Cir.1994); Stevenson v. TRW, Inc., 987 F.2d 288, 293 (5th Cir.1993); McKeown v. Sears Roebuck & Co., 335 F.Supp.2d 917, 930 (W.D.Wis. 2004)."

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for all the info....getting on it now.

Message 3 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

chasmith - I like your paragraph!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would not even dispute through the CRA at all. 

Your dispute is with the CA, and there is no reason to have to use the CRA as an intermediary in its resolution, including their use of their inane e-Oscar process.

That is what the new direct dispute process is all about.  Send your dispute and supporting documentation directly to the CA who posted in your CR.

While I totally agree with the sentiments expressed in the language suggested by Chasmith regarding the overuse of e-Oscar and the need for the CRA to conduct their own "reinvestigation" under FCRA 611(a), this is on a case by case basis, and is not univerally established case law.  The level of reliance on e-Oscar has never, to my knowlege, even been succienttly decided on this specfic legal poin at any fed appellant level.  There is, as of July 1. 2010, simply no longer a need to get embroiled in such legal controversy.

Just byass the the CRA entorely, and e-Oscar is no longer an issue.

Suggested direct dispute letter

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have posted to my credit file.

“In compliance with FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at 16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account number, and the specific information that is being dipsuted)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate; based on any statutory or regulatory provisions?)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, a copy of the portion of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the

disputed information)

“Under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(E), you have the duty to review all of the information in this Notice of Dispute, to complete your investigation, and report back to me the results of your investigation, within 30-days of my Notice of Dispute.”

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would also send a DV letter to the CA.  They cant refuse to consider it, since they apparently never send you the requried collection (dunning) notice within 5-days of posting to your CR.  I would make sure they know that you are aware that they are in violation of FDCPA 809(a).

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Just to let you all know, they still haven't taken this negative off my CR, they put it down as being paid. I did not pay the CA I paid Windstream, I am so angry over this I wish I could sue them. I am very stressed over this, even when my score was bad it was better than it is now.  I am going to make another phone call tomorrow and if that doesn't work I will follow your advice.  Thanks so much...I'll let you all know what happens.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was on phone with Windstream for an hour, they are sending me a letter stating it was their error. Called collection agency, told them they were supposed to notify me 5 days before submitting this to my CR. The man was very rude to me and told me they didn't have to let me know about anything and hung up on me. Is there anything I can do? Both blamed one another for this happening.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.