cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 18 points b/c of disputes?

tag
specialksauce
Contributor

Score dropped 18 points b/c of disputes?

Score dropped today by 18 points because of 3 disputes....

2 against LVNV....which updated for June with a balance increase yet again (they've updated every month since 2010)....disputing with BBB right now with them, conventiently updated the day after I rejected their response) Can they do that?? I thought a CA wasn't allowed to update until the dispute is resolved?? Maybe wishful thinking on my part. 

The other is against Green Tree Lending because they claim we owe for foreclosed 2nd mortgage but no way in hell we do b/c the home was foreclosed on by another company and that's been settled for 5 or 6 years now. 

No other activity. I double checked. EQ is the only one that dropped. EX has the dispute and balance update on theirs but same score as pre-dispute, not sure about TU but credit karma has the score up 33 points. Weird. 

Can those disputes and 2 balance increases of $38 really make the score drop 18 points? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Score dropped 18 points b/c of disputes?

@specialksauce wrote:

Score dropped today by 18 points because of 3 disputes....

2 against LVNV....which updated for June with a balance increase yet again (they've updated every month since 2010)....disputing with BBB right now with them, conventiently updated the day after I rejected their response) Can they do that?? I thought a CA wasn't allowed to update until the dispute is resolved?? Maybe wishful thinking on my part. 

The other is against Green Tree Lending because they claim we owe for foreclosed 2nd mortgage but no way in hell we do b/c the home was foreclosed on by another company and that's been settled for 5 or 6 years now. 

No other activity. I double checked. EQ is the only one that dropped. EX has the dispute and balance update on theirs but same score as pre-dispute, not sure about TU but credit karma has the score up 33 points. Weird. 

Can those disputes and 2 balance increases of $38 really make the score drop 18 points? 

The 18 point drop came from the dispute with Green Tree Lending. Collections should not result in a drop in score cause they are not factored in. 

Message 2 of 4
specialksauce
Contributor

I figured it was green tree. If they comeback verified I will be livid, never had an account with them and the foreclosure docs didnt name them in the court docs. 

If they come back verified, what should my next step be? 

Message 3 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would send them a direct dispute 

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D) and 16 CFR 660.4, of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

(Provide the following requirements of the rules, as detailed under 16 CFR 660.4):

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommended that you also send,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information to your credit file.

Sincerely, 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.