New Visitor
mseamm74

Score dropped 81 Points because of one collection!!

[ Edited ]

I've been rebuilding my credit after identity theft in 2005.  I finally got my score out of the "oh hell no" zone. Yay!  :smileyvery-happy:  However, yesterday I received a notice that a new collection has been added to my credit report, and that my score droppped 81 POINTS!!  :smileymad:

I did some investigation, and it turns out it's from Comcast Cable from 4 years ago.  Why did it take 4 flippin years to end up on my credit? :smileyfrustrated:  I have a call into them, as I have no knowledge of any outstanding debt.  In fact, when I signed up for their internet services last month, there was no mention of any outstanding debt when they ran my SS#.  Wouldn't that have been the time to mention it? :smileyindifferent:

If this turns out to be a debt that I actually owe (and somehow COMPLETELY forgot about), when does the clock start for it to age off of my report entirely?  From the time they posted it to my credit report, or the date of first delinquency? Also, is it better to pay it off if it's that old?

Thank you!

Contributor
rogersave

Re: Score dropped 81 Points because of one collection!!

I would call them and see if they would agree to delete if you PIF

Equifax 712 transunion 693experian 673
Chase freedom 500 Chase United explorer 5000 Discover IT 13000 AMEX PRG npsl AMEX BCE 6000 CSP 7000.
in the garden since 12/20/13 here to stay…..
pizzadude

Re: Score dropped 81 Points because of one collection!!

The credit reporting clock starts at 7.5 years from the DOFD of the original account for any charged~off accounts or collections.    Unfortunately creditors can wait any number of years before collecting or getting a CA involved.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+