cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 9 points because my FH account upgraded???

tag
Missy85
New Contributor

Re: Score dropped 9 points because my FH account upgraded???

@finallyfixingit wrote:

So I just got my alert from Myfico. I have lost 10 points over the past few days. I lost 5 points because my Capital One balance dropped from $117 to $59. I lost another 5 points for paying off the $22 balance on my Fingerhut Freshstart account. The revolving account still has not hit, so I will probably lose another 5 points for the new account. I have two more accounts that have not reported Victoria Secrets and Jessica London. So may or may not take a hit with those.  When Walmart reported I got a 27 point jump. It is interesting to see how the scoring works. I have been paying everything early, so I am not concerned.

That's very interesting, those are all positives yet your score went down? I'm so confused, lol. Did you use the shopping cart trick to get the Victoria Secret and Jessica London cards? My score isn't high enough yet for that to work for me but as soon as it is I'll be trying!

Starting Score: 473
Current Score: 562
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 27
finallyfixingit
Regular Contributor

@Missy85 wrote:

@finallyfixingit wrote:

So I just got my alert from Myfico. I have lost 10 points over the past few days. I lost 5 points because my Capital One balance dropped from $117 to $59. I lost another 5 points for paying off the $22 balance on my Fingerhut Freshstart account. The revolving account still has not hit, so I will probably lose another 5 points for the new account. I have two more accounts that have not reported Victoria Secrets and Jessica London. So may or may not take a hit with those.  When Walmart reported I got a 27 point jump. It is interesting to see how the scoring works. I have been paying everything early, so I am not concerned.

That's very interesting, those are all positives yet your score went down? I'm so confused, lol. Did you use the shopping cart trick to get the Victoria Secret and Jessica London cards? My score isn't high enough yet for that to work for me but as soon as it is I'll be trying!

Yes I used the shopping cart trick for VS and JL. It did not trigger for me until my score hit 662, which of course did not happen until my Walmart card hit the reports. I have read where other people got it to trigger in their upper 500’s and low 600’s.

7/14 Scores: EQ- 576, TU- 589, EX- 567
3/7/15 Scores: EQ- 666, TU- 680, EX- 669

last app 3/11/15
Message 12 of 27
Missy85
New Contributor

@finallyfixingit wrote:

@Missy85 wrote:

@finallyfixingit wrote:

Yes I used the shopping cart trick for VS and JL. It did not trigger for me until my score hit 662, which of course did not happen until my Walmart card hit the reports. I have read where other people got it to trigger in their upper 500’s and low 600’s.

That's good to know, I'll keep trying then. Thank you!

Message 13 of 27
finallyfixingit
Regular Contributor

My FH revolving just hit and I took a 4 point drop.  

7/14 Scores: EQ- 576, TU- 589, EX- 567
3/7/15 Scores: EQ- 666, TU- 680, EX- 669

last app 3/11/15
Message 14 of 27
Missy85
New Contributor

@finallyfixingit wrote:

My FH revolving just hit and I took a 4 point drop.  

Mine just reported on CreditKarma today but no change in score yet...

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had to go the FreshStart route but I did go Fingerhut.

From what I have read, FreshStart reports as "installment" loan.  Having installment loans on your report adds a few kudos to your report.

The switch from installment to revolving might have removed the kudos for "installment" loan on your credit report...thus lowering your score.

From my observation, installment loans give more bonus points to your FICO than store charge cards.

That is my guess

Message 16 of 27
Missy85
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never had to go the FreshStart route but I did go Fingerhut.

From what I have read, FreshStart reports as "installment" loan.  Having installment loans on your report adds a few kudos to your report.

The switch from installment to revolving might have removed the kudos for "installment" loan on your credit report...thus lowering your score.

From my observation, installment loans give more bonus points to your FICO than store charge cards.

That is my guess

Thank you for that, that makes sense. I hope that with good payments it will go back up.

Message 17 of 27
Missy85
New Contributor

Just a little update my score has went up 33 points since I posted this and I haven't even made my first payment yet!!!

I also was approved for a Capital One secured card finally yesterday!!!

I'm super excited Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Missy85 wrote:

Good Morning,

So I get to work this morning and get an email from MyFico about a score change. I was so excited because I know my Fingerhut account upgraded to a revolving account a couple weeks ago. When I finally log in it said my score dropped 9 points Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad!!!

My score is already horrible I thought that when I got the alert this would be a good thing. The rebuild process is so stressful, lol.

Can I look forward to it going back up at some point???

You'll only stress yourself out 'chasing scores', IMO. Instead concentrate on building the fundamentals - removing derogs, maintaining current on all payments, building multiple positive credit lines, and not over-extending yourself overall, and the scores will come in time. Minor fluctuations during a re-build are going to happen, but keeping to the fundamentals will keep things moving generally upward.

Message 19 of 27
Missy85
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Missy85 wrote:

Good Morning,

So I get to work this morning and get an email from MyFico about a score change. I was so excited because I know my Fingerhut account upgraded to a revolving account a couple weeks ago. When I finally log in it said my score dropped 9 points Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad!!!

My score is already horrible I thought that when I got the alert this would be a good thing. The rebuild process is so stressful, lol.

Can I look forward to it going back up at some point???

You'll only stress yourself out 'chasing scores', IMO. Instead concentrate on building the fundamentals - removing derogs, maintaining current on all payments, building multiple positive credit lines, and not over-extending yourself overall, and the scores will come in time. Minor fluctuations during a re-build are going to happen, but keeping to the fundamentals will keep things moving generally upward.

Thank you for your response. That's exactly what I've been doing, stressing out over these scores! At this point now that I FH, Cap One, and my existing car loan my main focus from this point on is going to be paying on time and working on my baddies. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.