Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped after a dispute was resolved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped after a dispute was resolved

I received an alert from myfico on Friday that my score dropped from 639 to 611 (28 points) due to a change in my credit report.  After pulling my credit report, I learned that there was no change but in fact a dispute that I made with Equifax on March 11th (I disputed that an old Verizon account had been listed twice on my credit report, I thought it was the same account, account was still in negative standing since 2006 but with a zero balance) had been resolved.  This action caused my score to drop 28 points when there was actually no change to my report, I was back where I started before the dispute was made....but they still decreased my score by 28 points.  I tried calling both Equifax and MyFico to learn that there is absolutely nothing that can be done.  Because of the dispute, it looks as if this account has been newly reported so it's like opening a bad debt all over again when in fact the debt was paid years ago.  I find it unfair to be penalized AGAIN.  Since making the dispute, my debt has decreased and my payments are made on time.  There was no reason at all for this decrease.  Can anyone advise me if there is any route I can take to getting this rectified.......

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score dropped after a dispute was resolved

Welcome to the forums!

Verizon can be vindictive. I always tell people to never ever dispute it, even if it looks wrong. What they likely did, when the dispute hit, was to update the TL in such a way as to make it appear newer. In other words, key dates, possibly the DOLA, updated and they probably added some old lates in there too leading up to your payment.

Send Verizon a GW and ask for a deletion. It might take several attempts.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...I'm going to give it a try.......hopefully that won't be held against me....Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm there with you. A Verizon/MCI unpaid CO appeared over the summer on an account that was paid, current, and active. So, I disputed it. I wish I didn't do that. Turned out that Verizon bought out MCI (out then-provider) and MCI had one last bill to mail. I thought it all rolled into Verizon but that wasn't the case. So, the unpaid OC appeared. We PIF and asked Verizon (same reporting address as MCI on the CR) to delete. They said "no" because we disputed.  I defended why and still no dice. Though I think they would had said "no" no matter what. Polishing up my old GW letters.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.