Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score jump?

tag
TC1223
New Contributor

Score jump?

Hi, I just received a score watch alert today and it jumped up 35 points. I opened up a fingerhut acct and a secured card from bofa. My question is, since its only been about a week, does it really make that big of a jump? I was only anticipating a few points, but 35? Will it keep increasing by that much, if I make payments on time?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Re: Score jump?

Well....

No it won't increase like that each time you make a payment but overtime yes your score will continue to increase as you make on time payments.

I don't know what your UTIL is right now, nor what other lines of credit you have but if you keep your UTIL right around 10% or under...pay the card IN FULL monthly, you will certainly see a steady increase.

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Did both of the accounts report already?  If they did, yes, it is possible to see that big of a jump.

No, it will not keeping increasing with on time payments.  You don't get credit for ontime payments but you will get dinged for not making them.

Message 3 of 5
burghpa
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

No, it will not keeping increasing with on time payments.  You don't get credit for ontime payments but you will get dinged for not making them.

That makes sense from my experience.  i saw  a huge increase when I paid off old balances  (reducing util to 5%) and  also when I acquired my CreditOne card  (since all older accounts are in negatives and closed) .

Since then I never missed a single payment,that didn't give me any extra points. But as time goes, the newly acquired CC will age, and your AAOA will give a boost I am hoping.

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@burghpa wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

That makes sense from my experience.  i saw  a huge increase when I paid off old balances  (reducing util to 5%) and  also when I acquired my CreditOne card  (since all older accounts are in negatives and closed) .

Since then I never missed a single payment,that didn't give me any extra points. But as time goes, the newly acquired CC will age, and your AAOA will give a boost I am hoping.

Yes, as they age to different points you will see increases.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.