Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score just dropped 18 points, thanks to Am Ex

tag
gbfan10
Valued Member

Score just dropped 18 points, thanks to Am Ex

I have had a Am Ex Starwood Credit card that fell behind about 2 years ago.   They closed my credit line, but I still have an account online.   The account every month shows a minimum balance due, and an a specific minimum payment due.   Every month I pay the Minimum due. 

Recently, they started reporting me as missing payments on my Experian report.  When I disputed it, (With proof of paying every month) they attacked my Equifax report now, and are reporting 120 days late in April.    It is also listing as a Collection/Charge off (as it has for awhile)

Why can I go onto their website, I see that I only have a minimim payment due of $35, which I always make.

I have been trying so hard to fix my credit and Am Ex just knocked me back 18 points.

Anything I can do???   I am soooo upset right now.   I will attach my payment history and what their website says.

Recent Activity Your recent activity from Apr 23 — Today (closing May 22), your recent activity is $0.00

Select to learn more about Recent Activity
+
$0.00
Apr 23 — Today (closing May 22)

Outstanding BalanceYour outstanding balance is $962.74  Select to learn more about Outstanding Balance
=
$962.74
Account Management

Card Agreement
    Disputes/Inquire About a Charge

Your Payment is Due on May 17. Your Minimum Payment Due is $35.00
Your Payment is Due on
May 17
Minimum Payment DueSelect to learn more about Minimum Payment Due
$35.00

DATE

STATUS

AMOUNT

BANK

METHOD

CONF.
Thu. Apr. 09, 2015

Paid     $45.00
    XXXX0000     Check     N/A
Wed. Mar. 11, 2015

Paid     $45.00
Fri. Mar. 06, 2015

Paid     $35.00
    XXXX4360     Computer     W8790
Wed. Feb. 11, 2015

Paid     $45.00
Mon. Jan. 12, 2015

Paid     $35.00
    XXXX4360     Computer     W1198
Fri. Jan. 09, 2015

Paid     $45.00
Thu. Dec. 11, 2014

Paid     $45.00
Mon. Nov. 10, 2014

Paid     $45.00
Thu. Oct. 09, 2014

Paid     $45.00
Thu. Sep. 11, 2014

Paid     $45.00
Mon. Sep. 08, 2014
    Paid     $50
    XXXX4360     Computer     W9926
Tue. Aug. 12, 2014

Paid     $45.00
Mon. Jul. 28, 2014

Paid     $70.00
    XXXX4360     Computer     W9838
Mon. Jun. 16, 2014

Paid     $35.00
    XXXX4360     Computer     W7014
Fri. May 02, 2014

Paid     $35.00
    XXXX4360     Computer     W7690
Fri. May 02, 2014

Paid     $35.00
    XXXX4360     Computer     W1318

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score just dropped 18 points, thanks to Am Ex

I would send them a direct dispute with demand to report accurate information, if they are knowingly reporting inaccurate info that is a violation of the FCRA.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095

Message 2 of 9
gbfan10
Valued Member

I spent the last 2 hours on the phone with them.   They forwarded me around in circles for about 45 minutes until I reached a nice customer service rep.   She said it looked like my payments for the last year and a half were on time and perfect.   She xfered me to a rude lady in their reporting division.  She said since I fell behind 2 years ago and went 120 late, that the account was sent to collections.  Now even though their site shows I owe a minimum due of $35 each month, I will show late until I pay the full balance off.  I asked her why it wouldn't demand the entire amount due on the site and she hung up on me.   Completely rude woman!

I am at a lost now.

Message 3 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@gbfan10 wrote:

I spent the last 2 hours on the phone with them.   They forwarded me around in circles for about 45 minutes until I reached a nice customer service rep.   She said it looked like my payments for the last year and a half were on time and perfect.   She xfered me to a rude lady in their reporting division.  She said since I fell behind 2 years ago and went 120 late, that the account was sent to collections.  Now even though their site shows I owe a minimum due of $35 each month, I will show late until I pay the full balance off.  I asked her why it wouldn't demand the entire amount due on the site and she hung up on me.   Completely rude woman!

I am at a lost now.

Stay off the phone, mail the direct dispute CMRR to them with demand for correct reporting.

Message 4 of 9
gbfan10
Valued Member

So even though they count this account as "collections" and it's been assigned to a Collection company called "Gatestone"  Since I make my payments on their website, and receive monthly statements, I am in the right?   I pay every month and according to their customer service I am current.  It's only when I deal with their rude reporting department do they justify the 120+ days late.

I assume this will continue to report late until PIF.

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@gbfan10 wrote:

So even though they count this account as "collections" and it's been assigned to a Collection company called "Gatestone"  Since I make my payments on their website, and receive monthly statements, I am in the right?   I pay every month and according to their customer service I am current.  It's only when I deal with their rude reporting department do they justify the 120+ days late.

I assume this will continue to report late until PIF.

Yup, they can report the lates from 2 yrs ago when they were really late, if you get a bill with a minimum of 35 and at lease pay that the account is current, no way around that, a late in April of this year is BS.

Message 6 of 9
gbfan10
Valued Member

Ok, I just sent them a direct dispute CMRR,   I will post back the results.

Message 7 of 9
gbfan10
Valued Member

I also filed complaints with the BBB and the CFPB

Am Ex responded to my 2 complaints, and refused to change my credit reporting.   I do still have an active Direct dispute with them, and haven't heard anything.

Here is my latest response where they refuse to correct anything.   Does it help to continue my CFPB complaint?

Your recent correspondences to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and the

Better Business Bureau (BBB) concerning your above referenced account have been forwarded

to me for review. Thank you for taking the time to share this matter with us. We are unable to

change the reported status of your account. Please allow me to respond to your inquiries.

Payments

American Express records show your account referenced above and your Green Card ending in

82002 were cancelled on October 27, 2011 for the reasons outlined in our letter sent to you on

that date. A copy of the letter is enclosed for your reference. Our records confirm our receipt of

your payments of $45.00 on March 11, 2015, $45.00 on April 9, 2015 and $45.00 on May 12,

2015 and are reflected on your monthly billing statements. Copies of your billing statements

dated March 23, 2015 and April 22, 2015 are enclosed. Your May 12, 2015 payment will be

reflected on your next billing statement.

Credit Reporting

Please be aware that American Express is required to disclose factual information to credit

bureaus. We are a provider of information and do not have control over the calculation of credit

scores, the impact that our properly reported information has on those calculations, or the manner

in which other creditors may interpret your credit report. Your Starwood account was referred for collection assistance in April 2012 due to its past due status. If you have questions, you can contact the collection agency directly:

Gatestone & Co 300 International Drive Suite 100 Williamsville, NY 14221 Phone: 866-251-2396

Your account is being reported as "unpaid collections, closed by credit grantor" with a balance of $962.74 and was last reported on April 23, 2015. In addition, a dispute code has been placed on the account under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) as you are disputing the credit reporting.

Mr. ****, should you have additional questions regarding your credit report, you may contact our Credit Bureau Unit department Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time at 800-874-2717. Please note, prior to speaking with the department you must obtain a copy of your credit bureau report and provide them with the American Express Customer Number which appears on the report.

Sincerely, 6 7/tame Customer Advocate Services Team American Express Global Banking Group, Salt Lake City, UT

Enclosures

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add a data point, had a Citi credit card go into collections and charge off, then some time afterwards, legitimate looking credit card statements starting coming monthly. While one could pay the "minimum", the fine print indicated it was really a collection and the various notations, such as credit limit was meaningless. Bizarre, and deceptive in a creative, presumably, legal, way. Probably many fall for the tactic not realizing they're paying a collection, and it's reporting as such.

Consider negotiating a lumpsum settlement. Paying minimum is costly, if you're being charged interest. But even if the rate is 0%, you'll likely still do better negotiating. Amex will often go 50% or so. While settling for less may preclude PFD, worth asking what they will accept to make that happen. Alternatively, if no PFD, sending a goodwill letter after settling the debt - easier if you paid in full verses discounted amount, but may work out either way.

In short, to boost score and save money, stop paying minimum, and instead settle the debt.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.