Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score was 780 now 650?! Medical help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score was 780 now 650?! Medical help!

Hey everyone,

Im new to the site and was reading a LOT of posts but between ass the acronyms & lingo, couldn't quite find my answers. 

I'm 28 and have always had at least a 750 credit score since graduating college. I paid all my student loans and paid cash for cars so I don't have very active credit except for my two credit cards which I use regularly for almost all expenditures. 

Two years ago ago I had surgery and a week after I moved. One bill for $200 never made it to my new address so it went unpaid and went to collections. I did not know until I checked my credit score about a year later. I thought the best thing would be pay it and my credit would bounce back. Well, my score is now 660 and terribly timed as I'm looking to purchase my first home soon. 

Ive seen people mention HIPPA and goodwill letters. Which would be best and to whom do I direct it? The surgical center or the collection agency? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score was 780 now 650?! Medical help!

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Since its paid you need to send the reporting CA a GW letter asking that it be removed.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your welcome & response!

I spoke to the CA today and they said it would be turned over to the original debtor (the surgical center) in 60-90 days to be removed. That would put it at the end of Aug/beginning of September to be removed.

I asked if that meant that my credit score would bounce back and the CA said that would be something to discuss with credit bureaus like Equifax, etc.

Is that something I should do now? Or should I wait until the 90 day period when it should be removed? And I thought that if the CA has it removed it means it will be removed from your credit score?

Message 3 of 4
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I had a medical collection incorrectly placed.  I lost 30 points.  When it was removed, I gained the 30 points back. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.