Frequent Contributor

Re: Screwed up before I found this forum, HELP

So which states SOL applies to me?
Message 11 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DiabolicallyRandom wrote:

Yeah Guiness I had to go into the branch as well.  I had charges on my bank card for websites that would be unbecoming to discuss.  They just wanted to cancel my card and send out a new one but I insisted on an all new checking account too. Since I wanted the new account I had to go into the branch, it was pretty quick and easy, the difficult part was just changing  my information through everything else after the fact.

Yep, and of course I forgot a creditor that took out automatic payments which got me in trouble with them.  You can't win for losing.

Message 12 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They can use either one.  It is usally the state you currently reside in.

Can you call them and ask about that letter and your prior agreement with them? 

Message 13 of 19
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

I may end up having to contact a consumer attorney on this one. I don't think Portfolio is going to take the news that I'm refusing to pay them anymore very kindly. And dealing with the two different states I think this could get pretty complicated.
Message 14 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 15 of 19
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Yes I'll call them tomorrow. Because in our original conversation he told me that if I made all of these payments that in one year I'd have it completely PIF and the debt would be satisfied. He didn't say anything about interest continuing to be added. This letter they sent me even says " Interset continues to accrue on this account until the account is satisfied, unless interest has been suspended (which it obviously hasn't) The above balance ($1,646) includes interest as of the date of this letter. You may contact us to obtain an exact payoff amount for a future date."
Message 16 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would definitely call them.  They can't back out on an agreement.  And they are limited to the amount of interest they can charge.

Message 17 of 19
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

I'll call them in the AM. Thank both of you for your help.
Message 18 of 19
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Hey Guiness, you're in AR aren't you? Do you happen to know of a good consumer attorney I could use. PM me if you do.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.