Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears charge off status

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sears charge off status

Hi all,

I've been reading the boards off and on for awhile.  We want to refinance our house for needed repairs/improvements, but my score has kept us from moving forward.  I've been diligently paying off my debts (had ALOT), which has been a struggle, but now I'm down to 5 accounts, 2 will be PIF by the end of next month, one caught up by the end of next month, the other two are reporting on time payments for quite some time, so I'm happy with those.  I finally broke down and bought the ScoreWatch and I'm pleased with myFICO score of 628...still low, but a lot higher from when I last checked it several years ago.  I also have 2 old medical collections from 2010 that I'm sending out DV letters on and see what happens.  But....my question is in relation to my paid charge off account from Sears.  I paid it off in april 2012; however it is showing closed, $0 balance, but it's continued to report as a charge off, most recently as of July 2014.  Now, I have other paid charge offs that stopped reporting as I've paid them off.  Is this still affecting my score and if so, what to do about it.  Any help would be appreciated...

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sears charge off status

Once paid it should stop updating.  Strange that they were still updating the TL.  I'm assuming that it is a closed account.  A closed account will not update.  I would do a direct dispute with them on this.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.