cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears issue in 2008 - (Update and more advice needed)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sears issue in 2008 - (Update and more advice needed)

I was thinking this was a late pay that would drop off this year. As I look at my CR now, I don't know if that's true. Here's the info from my 3B report. 

EQ

Date opened: Oct 1999

Status date: Feb 2014

Last activity: Jul 2008

No lates

Worst Delinquency: None Reported

Remarks: Account paid for less than full balance

TU

Last activity: Jul 2008

Late 90 plus days: 1 time (Jun 2008)

Worst Delinquency: 120 days past due

Remarks: Settled less than full balance

EX

Last activity: Not avail

Status: Account legally paid in full for less than the full balance

Late 90 plus days: 1 time (Sept 2008)

Worst Delinquency: Collection

Remarks: Account paid in full for less than full balance

Current scores: 

EQ 719

TU 735

EX 711

Will I stop getting dinged for this in June/Sept? The account will stay on my report until when? WWYD?

I honestly don't fully recall the situation, but I think it was something like one of us bought the other a christmas gift on the sears card and we never got the bill until months later due to moves, etc. Evidently we settled for less than the full balance, but I do not remember any of the details. 2008-9-10 were rough due to salary reductions/furlough days etc. 

ETA: The only other baddie I have is another store card from around the same time. It's got 90 day late on EQ and TU in 9/08 and 10/08. Cap One took over the card at some point and I'm seeing about GW on those. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sears issue in 2008 - Need advice

Monthly delinquencies each become excluded no later than 7 years from their dates of occurence, so the reported 90-late will become excluded from your TU report after June of this year, and from EX after September.

While a higher 120 day level of delinquency is referenced, its date is not provided.  Thus, exclusion of that comment is mandated, but without a reference date to determine its 7 year exclusion date.  That comment would be my concern regarding exclusion, as the CRA may not exclude the reference to the 120 late.

However, since it apparently is only shown by way of reference to highest level of delinquency, and apparently not in your payment history profile as an actual reporting monthly delinquency, it may not be a factor in your scoring.  However it would still, upon a manual review, continue to inform others that the accunt was deliquent long after the FCRA has prohibitd the CRA from including any such information in your credit report.  I would keep an eye on that item.

The reference to a collection referral must also become excluded, but its exclusion date will be based on the reported DOFD, which is not provided in the post.

Do you know the DOFD?

I would also keep an eye on the required exclusion of any reference to a collectin referral after 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Monthly delinquencies each become excluded no later than 7 years from their dates of occurence, so the reported 90-late will become excluded from your TU report after June of this year, and from EX after September.

While a higher 120 day level of delinquency is referenced, its date is not provided.  Thus, exclusion of that comment is mandated, but without a reference date to determine its 7 year exclusion date.  That comment would be my concern regarding exclusion, as the CRA may not exclude the reference to the 120 late.

However, since it apparently is only shown by way of reference to highest level of delinquency, and apparently not in your payment history profile as an actual reporting monthly delinquency, it may not be a factor in your scoring.  However it would still, upon a manual review, continue to inform others that the accunt was deliquent long after the FCRA has prohibitd the CRA from including any such information in your credit report.  I would keep an eye on that item.

The reference to a collection referral must also become excluded, but its exclusion date will be based on the reported DOFD, which is not provided in the post.

Do you know the DOFD?

I would also keep an eye on the required exclusion of any reference to a collectin referral after 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD.

Thanks. 

This caused me to remember that I pulled all three free reports around the same time I started paying attention to this. 

I looked at my free TU from 3/15 and it said that the Sears issue was due to fall off in April 2015. I just paid $8 (CA gets reduced rates, good to know) for a new TU and it's gone. Smiley Happy 

I I looked at my fre EX from 3/15 and it said that the Sears issue is due to fall off in June 2015 (and is probably why my EX is lagging behind the others.) So, at least I know it's imminent. 

Looking back at the actual CR reports, rather than the 3 bureau from myfico, I also figured out why my inquiry numbers were surprising to me. I had to do some googling to figure out what a couple were for, but yes, they're all legit. 

So thanks again for helping guide me to look for some of this stuff. 

The Sears account is still showing on my EQ as a closed account, paid less than full balance. But it's not showing up in the negs. So I'm guessing it'll fall off in 2018. If it doesn't, I think I could address it then. 

Message 3 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Do you know the DOFD?

Thanks. 

This caused me to remember that I pulled all three free reports around the same time I started paying attention to this. 

I looked at my free TU from 3/15 and it said that the Sears issue was due to fall off in April 2015. I just paid $8 (CA gets reduced rates, good to know) for a new TU and it's gone. Smiley Happy 

I I looked at my fre EX from 3/15 and it said that the Sears issue is due to fall off in June 2015 (and is probably why my EX is lagging behind the others.) So, at least I know it's imminent. 

Looking back at the actual CR reports, rather than the 3 bureau from myfico, I also figured out why my inquiry numbers were surprising to me. I had to do some googling to figure out what a couple were for, but yes, they're all legit. 

So thanks again for helping guide me to look for some of this stuff. 

The Sears account is still showing on my EQ as a closed account, paid less than full balance. But it's not showing up in the negs. So I'm guessing it'll fall off in 2018. If it doesn't, I think I could address it then. 

Call EX & EQ and ask for the early exclusion of these derogs. The EQ account is a derog with the comments of paid less than full balance.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Call EX & EQ and ask for the early exclusion of these derogs. The EQ account is a derog with the comments of paid less than full balance.

Do you mean just the Sears stuff? Or the stuff due to drop off in 7/08 to 10/08. 

What reasoning? GW? 

Message 5 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Do you mean just the Sears stuff? Or the stuff due to drop off in 7/08 to 10/08. 

What reasoning? GW? 

Yes the Sears account. The early exclusion can be asked for by calling/writing the CRAs 6 mo in advance of the scheduled drop date with TU and 2-3 months in advance with the other 2 CRAs. The EE is basically a goodwill jesture by the CRAs if they grant it.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then should I ask for the other one as well? The Cap One/Gottshalks that has the last late pay 9/08 and the TU that has the last late pay 10/08? Or TU now and EQ later for that one? Or are you saying that since they're just 90 day late, it's not the same thing? 

Message 7 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Then should I ask for the other one as well? The Cap One/Gottshalks that has the last late pay 9/08 and the TU that has the last late pay 10/08? Or TU now and EQ later for that one? Or are you saying that since they're just 90 day late, it's not the same thing? 

EX

Last activity: Not avail

Status: Account legally paid in full for less than the full balance

Late 90 plus days: 1 time (Sept 2008)

Worst Delinquency: Collection

Remarks: Account paid in full for less than full balance

Seems I misread the other 2, I thought they had become COed, so the EE would not apply but it does to this COed listing from EX.  The early exlcusion only applies to accounts that have been COed by the OC, a CA and a PR. Individual lates in a paid as agreed account are not eligible for the early exclusion and as stated will each drop at the 7 year mark. You can write to the creditor and ask for goodwill deletion of those lates if you wish.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my orignal post was probably confusing. I was originally just asking about Sears. 

Sears

3 chunks of data were all about Sears.

EQ - Confirmed that it's still showing as indicated above. Confirmed as I disputed the other one, see below. As it is just that note, I'll wait on it. 

TU - Confirmed that it's absolutely gone (completely...like no account anywhere to be seen). 

EX - I'll wait until it's off next month. 

Cap One/Gottschalks

I sort of threw this in as an afterthought. This is the one that's showing:

EX - Late 30-60-90 7/08-9/08

TU - Late 30-60-90 8/08-10/08

EX - Doesn't show Cap One, still shows HSBC and shows Paid/Closed/Never Late, last report 7/08

Recent history on the Gottschalks account is that I've been trying with Cap One to talk about it to find out my options, thinking I'd have to ask for GW with them, but I've gotten the run around and phone tag. So, I just disputed it with EX and TU online. I stated it's showing different on their CR than others and I don't believe theirs is correct. And that I've tried to straighten out with Cap One to no avail. Honestly, I don't remember this ever being late and I think it was some how wrapped up in the change from HSBC to COne.

So...we'll see. 

Any more I should do (and did I do anything bad?)

Message 9 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I think my orignal post was probably confusing. I was originally just asking about Sears. 

Sears

3 chunks of data were all about Sears.

EQ - Confirmed that it's still showing as indicated above. Confirmed as I disputed the other one, see below. As it is just that note, I'll wait on it. 

TU - Confirmed that it's absolutely gone (completely...like no account anywhere to be seen). 

EX - I'll wait until it's off next month. 

Cap One/Gottschalks

I sort of threw this in as an afterthought. This is the one that's showing:

EX - Late 30-60-90 7/08-9/08

TU - Late 30-60-90 8/08-10/08

EX - Doesn't show Cap One, still shows HSBC and shows Paid/Closed/Never Late, last report 7/08

Recent history on the Gottschalks account is that I've been trying with Cap One to talk about it to find out my options, thinking I'd have to ask for GW with them, but I've gotten the run around and phone tag. So, I just disputed it with EX and TU online. I stated it's showing different on their CR than others and I don't believe theirs is correct. And that I've tried to straighten out with Cap One to no avail. Honestly, I don't remember this ever being late and I think it was some how wrapped up in the change from HSBC to COne.

So...we'll see. 

Any more I should do (and did I do anything bad?)

I dont see anything bad, I would continue GW letters to whomever is reporting the lates on the Gottschalks account. You do want to get the Sears account off all the reports ASAP.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.