cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 609, MOV, verification...What's the truth behind all this?

tag
ficobuddy
Valued Member

Section 609, MOV, verification...What's the truth behind all this?

Help! I've researched myself into circles on this forum about verfication, section 609, MOV, etc. 

Is there any truth behind being able to ask the bureaus to provide original documentation proving/verifying 1. that you are responsible for the mentioned account, and 2. that the information being reported is accurate?

Here's where I'm at... 

I have two accounts that are not reporting accurately, one is a collection from Discover. They are the CA on the account, they never sold it off. Basically their DOFD is a year off. I can understand 1,or even 2-3 months off, but a full year is just plain inaccurate.

The other is an old repo from fmcc (ford motor credit) that did not ever go into repossession, yet it still reports as a repo. I have disputed these accounts with the bureaus ON MY OWN, no credit repair companies. After the first attempt, I tried to go back to the bureaus for a second round, but I got a frivolous repsonse. I am now in the process of sending certified return receipt mail to both OC's asking for the documentation obligating me to this account, as well as documentation of any negative activity on the account i.e. their dates they are reporting. I've received the receipt from Discover, but no response. I haven't even received the received receipt from fmcc yet.  It's been 2 weeks.

If I don't get the documentation from the OC's in this request, what's the next step? I'm assuming I go back to the bureaus with my certified return receipts, their received receipts (or lack of received receipt in fmcc case), along with any letters they sent back. My big question with all of this is what do I say to the bureaus, and what do I request from them? TDo I ask for the original docs? Do I ask them t reopen the investigation and have them request the original docs from the OC's? Do the Bureuas really need to have your original documentation on file in order to report it? (I've been reading some pretty lofty "rights" of the consumer and section 609 stating the bureaus need your original docs in order to report) Should I buy into that idea?

At this point, this is exactly where I found myself looking up MOV, Section 609, and verification on this forum. How do I approach the bureaus now without getting another frivolous response back? I really don't want to call them, because I'm from the old school train of thought and like to have a paper trail wherever I go.

I'd love some expert forum advice here if I could. Last let me say this forum is amazing, I've always received very good repsonses and very positive feedback. Keeping someone's spirits up in a time of rebuilding credit is almost as important as the advice you all give, so I'd like to say thanks to everyone advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kevinthomas

Re: Section 609, MOV, verification...What's the truth behind all this?

Hello, You need to request the CRA's Validate those accounts in question.  I posted on another forum here about my success with the 609 restoration process and it is a process.  Read there and look further into section 609.  I am proving that it can and does work it done correctly.  I am going to try to find a way to post my results so I can prove things further.  Kevin

Message 2 of 4
kevinthomas

To further define validate.  Have each of the CRA's (via certified mail with other documentation SS card and DL in color) validate and PROVE that what they have in their files on you is accurate.  They are selling your information for profit, so they, by law are supposed to have that information on file and proof of it on file, which they do not, that is why when you request that information they always refer you to the original creditor "OC".  They do not have It ever.  Keep Smiling, Kevin

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ficobuddy wrote:

Help! I've researched myself into circles on this forum about verfication, section 609, MOV, etc. 

Is there any truth behind being able to ask the bureaus to provide original documentation proving/verifying 1. that you are responsible for the mentioned account, and 2. that the information being reported is accurate?

Here's where I'm at... 

I have two accounts that are not reporting accurately, one is a collection from Discover. They are the CA on the account, they never sold it off. Basically their DOFD is a year off. I can understand 1,or even 2-3 months off, but a full year is just plain inaccurate.

The other is an old repo from fmcc (ford motor credit) that did not ever go into repossession, yet it still reports as a repo. I have disputed these accounts with the bureaus ON MY OWN, no credit repair companies. After the first attempt, I tried to go back to the bureaus for a second round, but I got a frivolous repsonse. I am now in the process of sending certified return receipt mail to both OC's asking for the documentation obligating me to this account, as well as documentation of any negative activity on the account i.e. their dates they are reporting. I've received the receipt from Discover, but no response. I haven't even received the received receipt from fmcc yet.  It's been 2 weeks.

If I don't get the documentation from the OC's in this request, what's the next step? I'm assuming I go back to the bureaus with my certified return receipts, their received receipts (or lack of received receipt in fmcc case), along with any letters they sent back. My big question with all of this is what do I say to the bureaus, and what do I request from them? TDo I ask for the original docs? Do I ask them t reopen the investigation and have them request the original docs from the OC's? Do the Bureuas really need to have your original documentation on file in order to report it? (I've been reading some pretty lofty "rights" of the consumer and section 609 stating the bureaus need your original docs in order to report) Should I buy into that idea?

At this point, this is exactly where I found myself looking up MOV, Section 609, and verification on this forum. How do I approach the bureaus now without getting another frivolous response back? I really don't want to call them, because I'm from the old school train of thought and like to have a paper trail wherever I go.

I'd love some expert forum advice here if I could. Last let me say this forum is amazing, I've always received very good repsonses and very positive feedback. Keeping someone's spirits up in a time of rebuilding credit is almost as important as the advice you all give, so I'd like to say thanks to everyone advance!

MOV has nothing to do with them proving whether or not you actually own the debt.  That is not up to the CRA to decide.  They only post what they are given by the creditor.

An MOV is you asking them how they verified the debt with the creditor, ie, e-Oscar, phone call, both.  When they verify a debt it is only verified that it exists, not that you own it.  Proving it is not yours would be between you and the creditor.

The issue is NOT with the CRAs but with the creditors themselves and their reporting.  Stop disputing with the CRAs and do a direct dispute with the creditors/CAs. It will help a lot if you actually have documentation to prove it.

Direct dispute

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.