cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Capital One...now in collections

tag
MuzikGurl

Secured Capital One...now in collections

Hello! I was in the building stages of my credit back in 2009-10ish and I decided to pay Capital One the 99 bucks for a secured credit card.

The first month was just the 99 dollars on the card which was my deposit. The account was set up to never go over the limit. The next month I deposited a couple hundred on it and use it and every month for about 6 or 7 months I continued to pay all that I used and deposit plus 10% more because it wouldn't let me pay more in one payment. I slowly built the limit up. I never received a line of credit from them.

To my knowledge this card was much like a gift card per say...I get a card that has nothing on it until I deposit money which is my own cash then I can use the card to buy...after 4 months of doing this I thought surely my "good faith" was good enough to at least obtain a 200 buck unsecure account with them to start...but was told I have to have at least 6 months of good payment first then my account will go under review for a potential line of credit to be extended and to just keep doing what I am doing. So I continued until month 7 I finally sat down and called them about it they told me they will NEVER issue a line of credit on a secure card if I want a line of credit I will need to go to their website and apply for a regular card but there is no guarantee of approval but worth a shot in the dark. Ugh..so I did this and was declined.

I then decided to go ahead spend the remaining amount left on my card until there was like 20 bucks left on the card and decided the next month I was not going to put anymore money on a card they I felt wasn't really helpping me that much and a company that would never extend credit to me anyways...but a month later I received a bill for min. payment of 25 bucks and a balance of the extact amount I spent. Wait?!? How can I "owe" a balance of something I was never given...??? Do I owe the annual fees and monthly fees or whatever that was attached to it..yes probably. But I feel as if how can one owe on a card that was never given a line of lending credit to begin with???? Now..fast forward...to today 2015 I noticed I am dealing with what is called Double Jeporady. It appears to look like I owe two creditors when I only owe ( really I don't feel like I owe ANYONE) Capital One has now sold my account to Profolio Recovery recently ( within the past couple months) and now it looks like I have 2 things in collection and it's hurting what credit score I have built up...

Since all this has been going on Capital One has issued me another secure credit card, I applied just to have and to see if they would give me another one...apparently they will regardless if I "owe" them anything or not. I paid the 99 bucks again for the new account but this time they gave me a 200 credit line which I have had for about 5-6 months and now today they gave me without even a notice or anything I just randomly checked my account they extended me 300 dollars more..WITHOUT a deposit. I called them and they told me I was very lucky because secured cards NEVER get extended a line of credit...well, no kidding! Now...this is what I want to know...how can I get out of paying Capital One the money they claim I owe them on the first card??? If I owe them money then why would they extend me credit again...??? This makes no sense to me at all. I can't afford to get hit a third time with another collector...I want to take care of all this but I feel like I do not owe them money as they NEVER gave me money to begin with. I need this take care of asap. Can someone explain all this to me...what are my options??

Thanks in advance. :-)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Secured Capital One...now in collections

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I moved the post over to the Rebuilding forum to people to answer what you might be able to do about the collections; however, your understanding of secured cards is unfortunately mistaken.  You absolutely do owe them the money.

A secured card is simply a credit card secured with money a depository account in case you flake.  Any charges on the card are a debt that you owe to Capital One same as any other credit card, and if you have a balance and then don't pay, a collection is the standard result.  

There's two components of moving money to a secured card: 1) increase the CL as you did by adding money to the underlying deposit, and 2) paying the charges which have accrued on the credit line.  It sounds as though you did #1, but not #2, and that is why the collection occurred to recover that debt.  Presumably once you pay it they will refund the deposit back to you on the original secured card if they haven't already.

It sounds as though you may have thought it was like a Prepaid card; it is not - you are not depositing money to spend, it is to guaruntee the extension of credit only.  

I can empathize as I once had my own snafu with a secured card a while ago ("you have the security deposit, why are you doing this?") but they are following proper procedure.

        
Message 2 of 9
MuzikGurl

You say they are guaranteeing credit to you but they never did. I still don't understand how they have funds secured when i signed up?? But the only money i was able to use was my cash to begin with...if i paid 99 dollars they give me a card with 99 dollars. I used that 99 dollars then the next month put 99 dollars plus 20 on the card so my credit available would be 119 to use and i keep doing this each month until one month i don't put any money on the card next thing i know they are billing me...the amount they are billing me is for the previous month but if i place funds on the card the use it in that order how can i be billed for an amount that wasn't there first... they never guaranteed me a line of credit...they never gave me more than what cash i placed on the card...they declined me any funds except what i deposited first. Soo...i guess i don't get it. Btw thank you for moving it over. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MuzikGurl wrote:
You say they are guaranteeing credit to you but they never did. I still don't understand how they have funds secured when i signed up?? But the only money i was able to use was my cash to begin with...if i paid 99 dollars they give me a card with 99 dollars. I used that 99 dollars then the next month put 99 dollars plus 20 on the card so my credit available would be 119 to use and i keep doing this each month until one month i don't put any money on the card next thing i know they are billing me...the amount they are billing me is for the previous month but if i place funds on the card the use it in that order how can i be billed for an amount that wasn't there first... they never guaranteed me a line of credit...they never gave me more than what cash i placed on the card...they declined me any funds except what i deposited first. Soo...i guess i don't get it. Btw thank you for moving it over. Smiley Happy

Going to link you one of the informational posts from here on MyFICO that discusses secured cards, I'd strongly encourage you to read through it as I think there's some confusion which it can address:

http://www.myfico.com/goals/creditcards/howcreditcardswork.aspx

        
Message 4 of 9
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@MuzikGurl wrote:

Hello! I was in the building stages of my credit back in 2009-10ish and I decided to pay Capital One the 99 bucks for a secured credit card.

The first month was just the 99 dollars on the card which was my deposit. The account was set up to never go over the limit. The next month I deposited a couple hundred on it and use it and every month for about 6 or 7 months I continued to pay all that I used and deposit plus 10% more because it wouldn't let me pay more in one payment. I slowly built the limit up. I never received a line of credit from them.

To my knowledge this card was much like a gift card per say...I get a card that has nothing on it until I deposit money which is my own cash then I can use the card to buy...after 4 months of doing this I thought surely my "good faith" was good enough to at least obtain a 200 buck unsecure account with them to start...but was told I have to have at least 6 months of good payment first then my account will go under review for a potential line of credit to be extended and to just keep doing what I am doing. So I continued until month 7 I finally sat down and called them about it they told me they will NEVER issue a line of credit on a secure card if I want a line of credit I will need to go to their website and apply for a regular card but there is no guarantee of approval but worth a shot in the dark. Ugh..so I did this and was declined.

I then decided to go ahead spend the remaining amount left on my card until there was like 20 bucks left on the card and decided the next month I was not going to put anymore money on a card they I felt wasn't really helpping me that much and a company that would never extend credit to me anyways...but a month later I received a bill for min. payment of 25 bucks and a balance of the extact amount I spent. Wait?!? How can I "owe" a balance of something I was never given...??? Do I owe the annual fees and monthly fees or whatever that was attached to it..yes probably. But I feel as if how can one owe on a card that was never given a line of lending credit to begin with???? Now..fast forward...to today 2015 I noticed I am dealing with what is called Double Jeporady. It appears to look like I owe two creditors when I only owe ( really I don't feel like I owe ANYONE) Capital One has now sold my account to Profolio Recovery recently ( within the past couple months) and now it looks like I have 2 things in collection and it's hurting what credit score I have built up...

Since all this has been going on Capital One has issued me another secure credit card, I applied just to have and to see if they would give me another one...apparently they will regardless if I "owe" them anything or not. I paid the 99 bucks again for the new account but this time they gave me a 200 credit line which I have had for about 5-6 months and now today they gave me without even a notice or anything I just randomly checked my account they extended me 300 dollars more..WITHOUT a deposit. I called them and they told me I was very lucky because secured cards NEVER get extended a line of credit...well, no kidding! Now...this is what I want to know...how can I get out of paying Capital One the money they claim I owe them on the first card??? If I owe them money then why would they extend me credit again...??? This makes no sense to me at all. I can't afford to get hit a third time with another collector...I want to take care of all this but I feel like I do not owe them money as they NEVER gave me money to begin with. I need this take care of asap. Can someone explain all this to me...what are my options??

Thanks in advance. :-)

Sorry your going through this, but about 8 years ago my understnading of secured cards was just like yours and to date I'm still dealing with.....Now I have more knowledge and better credit because of that knowledge, so my suggestion to you is that you do a pay for delete, if you dont understand what that is then, use the search button up top and look it up.....also, you need to do some more research on secured credit cards, and unsecured credit cards that will help you.

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You and I both know it's a debit card ... basically.

But the reality is it is a credit card; not a debit card.  They took your money and "extended you credit" with your own money... that is why it is called a secured credit card.  If you pay off the account and then close it, they are supposed to refund the security deposit to you.

You are basically hurting your own credit letting your secured card go into collections when you could have closed it, owed nothing and then gotten your money back.

And if you look around the forums, CapOne always says they don't increase credit on secured cards but they in fact do.  Around Christmas there were tons of posts about people getting increases on their CapOne secured credit card.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MuzikGurl wrote:

Well, its obvious that you don't get it, even after its been explained to you. A secured card simply does NOT work like a prepaid card. You do not 'put money on the card'. You deposit money in a savings account. Then they issue you a credit card with a credit limit equal to the amount in the savings account, and the savings account is 'locked'. Then they wait 6 months and see if you are going to use the credit card in a responsible manner. When you wish to close the account, you pay the balance down to zero, CALL them and close the account, and then your savings account is released back to you to do as you wish. Yes, it does seem unnecessarily complex, to send them money just so they can send it back, but thats how it works. You probably could have CALLED them and told them you wished to close the account, and they probably would have simply applied the savings to the balance on the card, and paid you the difference, but instead, you seemd to have just assumed they would do all of that on their own, without any input from you.

Think of it as a credit card with 'training wheels'.

Message 7 of 9
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MuzikGurl wrote:

Well, its obvious that you don't get it, even after its been explained to you. A secured card simply does NOT work like a prepaid card. You do not 'put money on the card'. You deposit money in a savings account. Then they issue you a credit card with a credit limit equal to the amount in the savings account, and the savings account is 'locked'. Then they wait 6 months and see if you are going to use the credit card in a responsible manner. When you wish to close the account, you pay the balance down to zero, CALL them and close the account, and then your savings account is released back to you to do as you wish. Yes, it does seem unnecessarily complex, to send them money just so they can send it back, but thats how it works. You probably could have CALLED them and told them you wished to close the account, and they probably would have simply applied the savings to the balance on the card, and paid you the difference, but instead, you seemd to have just assumed they would do all of that on their own, without any input from you.

Think of it as a credit card with 'training wheels'.

And to add to your comment NormanH.....if you have paid on time every month some companies will give you back that deposit after a while and turn your secured card into a unsecured card......

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should have fully understood what you signed up for.

A secured card is not a gift card, and yes it does help your credit.

This is actually how I built my credit up but it just seems like you were too much in a rush to get approved for a normal credit line.

I simply realized I had bad credit, applied for a secured card and put $500 down. I used that card for nearly 11 months (they only gave me a CLI of $100 within that time of GOOD on time payments and great usage) I waited for them to SEND ME a preapproval for a Quicksilver credit card. I came here to see what other users thought and they said go for it, which I did and was approved for a Quicksilver (not quicksilver one, with annual fee) and a credit line of $1000. In that very same month with a FICO of 620 I was approved for another 3 "premier' credit cards.. its been about four months now and my score has gone up significantly.

You cannot rush this process.. the more patient you are, the better the outcome will be in my from my experience.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.