Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Card Recommendations?

tag
adifferentme
Contributor

Re: Secured Card Recommendations?

I would recommend the US bank HD secured. It is a card that graduates with no anual fee. I have had this card for 2 years, my score has not improved much for me to graduate but it is a really good card.

@Anonymous wrote:

After doing some more research, what is the overall consensus on Bank of America's secured card? That is another card I am looking into.

Message 11 of 16
FicoNoobiski
Valued Member

I had a Capital One secured card and Wells Fargo secured card.  The Wells Fargo card required a minimum deposit of $300, but it graduated a little after a year.  I already banked with them, so when they sent the invitiation to apply, I just applied.  However, on the credit reports, it shows that it is a secured card.  I don't know if that will have any effect on your score though.

The FNBO secured card seems like a good choice.  I have one of their regular platinum card and I don't have any complaints about it.  My credit limits were automatically increased quarterly for the first year and then last month I called in credit limit increase, it was a soft pull and they gave me a $5k limit increase.  It seems like the Wells Fargo card too, minium $300 deposit and the ablility of graduating too.  Not sure what the annual fees are on either of those card though.  Oh, and FNBO gives free Experian 08 Fico Bankcard Score.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After doing some more research, what is the overall consensus on Bank of America's secured card? That is another card I am looking into.

I am not sure if you can app for the B of A secured card.  I have the B of A secured card 99/500 but I got the offer after I was denied for a regular CC.  I put up 99, they gave me a 500 CL, and it can graduate to unsecured, usually after 12 months of responsible use.

I am not sure if you can app for the regular secured card, where for instance you put up 300 for a CL of 300.  I do not have experience there.

hth

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this recommendation, it's exactly the type of card I was looking for! No annual fee, and it graduates, great! I've applied for this card as my 3rd card. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

EDIT: My initial reply is in response to adfferentme

Message 14 of 16
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

I highly recommend the SDFC (State Dept Federal Credit Union) Card, I didn't even have a job when I got mine! No hard pull (or no pull) and min $200.

My friend got the Bank of America secured card and it graduted in about 10 months actually. Unforutunatly because of BK he's unable to get the BofA Rewards card but has a standard unsecured BofA card now.

They told him he can get the Rewards card in about six months.

I looked at the US Bank myself, but min desposit was $300 and as I said when I started this journey I wasn't even working.  I applyed instead for a Cap One secured Planum and got it (only after I opened up a checking account) for only $99 for $200; after six months, they added $300 of unsecured credit too it so now I have $529 credit line.

After that, I appled for the Cap One Quicksilver off Norman's suggestion and got it.

As long as your not in the Chex system you can get the SDFC card easy.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

DJ4Money, is the SDFCU a secured card or an unsecured? I will definitely look into them!

EDIT: Nevermind, found the website (at first I could only find the Platinum card, but I found the Secured after more digging). I will definitely consider this card!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.