Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Card--at What Point?

tag
hillskip
Established Member

Secured Card--at What Point?

Hello,

I've read multiple posts about people obtaining / working to obtain a secured credit card. Is there a certain point in the credit repair process that you should try and do this?

thank you in advance!!

Current:

Equifax    616

Transunion  599

Experian   588

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Studio90x
Contributor

Re: Secured Card--at What Point?

Your current scores should get you a Capital One Platinum and QuicksilverOne.  I believe my scores were in the low 600s when I was approved for both CapitalOne cards.

The only reason for needing a secured card would be if your scores were in the low-mid 500s with a lot of derogs and using it until you've cleaned up your report a bit and your scores reach the point of qualifying for unsecured cards.

Check CapitalOne's pre-qualify site to see if you are pre-qualified for those 2 cards that I mentioned.

EQ8 - 696 TU8 - 700 EX8 - 683
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores should def help you get in with capital one.Try their pre-qualify page. I would also think you could possibly get a walmart or amazon. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hillskip wrote:

Hello,

I've read multiple posts about people obtaining / working to obtain a secured credit card. Is there a certain point in the credit repair process that you should try and do this?

thank you in advance!!

Current:

Equifax    616

Transunion  599

Experian   588

Re-establishing new credit card accounts should be the VERY FIRST step in the process. As indicated above, don't make the assumption you need to get secured cards first. With scores in the 600 range you may very well be able to get a couple of unsecured Cap One cards.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.