Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Card vs Authorized User

tag
myfreshstart27
Established Member

Secured Card vs Authorized User

Hello everyone! So today I come to you asking for advice regarding being an authorized user vs. having a secured card.

Backstory: I don't have any revolving credit lines. I have old baddies that are either being disputed for inaccuracy or that I am planning to write GW letters to after the disputes are taken care of... with that being said.

I was planning on opening a secured card while I take care of cleaning up the baddies on my CR since I don't have ANY credit reporting at all. (no cc's, no loans, nothing). However my fiance just recently got a walmart discover card and he offered to add me as an AU on his account.

My original plan was to open the secured card, use it well for 3-4 months and either get a second secured card or see i I could be approved for an unsecured card.

Now, I'm wondering if it would be better for me to be added as an AU to this card, put the money from the secured card towards removing the baddies that need to be paid and then 3-4 months down the road try for an unsecured card?

I understand what could go wrong with being an AU on a cc--- but he's sock drawering this card anyway. Which situation do you think could benefit me more?

age: 24 | status: rebuilding mode | short term goal: 650 | long term goal: 800
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Secured Card vs Authorized User

I would be added as an AU as a temporary means to get things paid off as you suggested.

Do you have a FICO score?

Message 2 of 9
myfreshstart27
Established Member

Have not purchased a FICO score yet.  I am enrolled on Credit Karma and that TU FAKO is 589 Smiley Sad I plan on enrolling in myFICO's credit score watch later on this month.

Message 3 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

AU will get you the benefit of the history on that card were as the secured card starts building history from the day your approved 

So if you are added as AU to a card with history from say 2000 you benefit from the all that history

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 9
myfreshstart27
Established Member

@myjourney wrote:

AU will get you the benefit of the history on that card were as the secured card starts building history from the day your approved 

So if you are added as AU to a card with history from say 2000 you benefit from the all that history

Oh yes, I understand the benefits of being added as an authorized user. It's a new card though (3 months old)  which is where my dilemma mainly comes in to play.

Message 5 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@myfreshstart27 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Oh yes, I understand the benefits of being added as an authorized user. It's a new card though (3 months old)  which is where my dilemma mainly comes in to play.

Me personally would go secured route with short credit history. From my personal experience seems like some fico scores don't count au as much as other. YMMV

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I'd pass on the authorized user thing and go with secured cc.

Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you have no CC getting added as an AU could help you obtain one on your own.  Even though it is only 3 months old it is better than no revolving at all.

And while it is true that some AU accounts are factored differently,  it is at least a foot in the door.

It will also give you the means to pay off some debt.

Message 8 of 9
myfreshstart27
Established Member

Everyone has made some great points. Thanks everyone! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.