Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Cards and HP's

tag
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

Secured Cards and HP's

I currently have 1 secured cc and was told by my lender to get 2 more.  Here's the thing, won't getting 2 more dings on my CR be a bad thing?  

Also, I have the Wells Fargo secured card, which others are good to get and are easier to get considering?

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Secured Cards and HP's

You should never apply for any credit within 6 months of applying for a mortgage due to the possibility of a change in score.

Yes, you could potentially lose points for the HP plus the TLs reporting.  It could take 6 months to recover from that.

Message 2 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

You should never apply for any credit within 6 months of applying for a mortgage due to the possibility of a change in score.

Yes, you could potentially lose points for the HP plus the TLs reporting.  It could take 6 months to recover from that.

+1 agreed

When are you planning to apply for a mortgage?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Double post Ooops 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 8
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the responses, I already spoke with a LO and was told to acquire 2 additional lines of credit.  

He HP my CR (which already dinged my score several points) and he suggested I should acquire an additinonal 2 secured cards (I already have 1).  I am looking for end of June settlement.   Why would they suggest I acquire 2 TL's then if this could have an adverse affect on CR?  I may seek a second opinion (with the 1st lenders HP).

I appreciate the feedback.

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@MortgageMinded wrote:

Thanks for the responses, I already spoke with a LO and was told to acquire 2 additional lines of credit.  

He HP my CR (which already dinged my score several points) and he suggested I should acquire an additinonal 2 secured cards (I already have 1).  I am looking for end of June settlement.   Why would they suggest I acquire 2 TL's then if this could have an adverse affect on CR?  I may seek a second opinion (with the 1st lenders HP).

Because they are looking at what the UW may want you to have in the way of credit.  Most may not be completely aware of the impact to your score when they tell you to do things like this.

If you did it now your score may recover by then.

I know Open Sky does no HP.  They may not be the best CC but if all you are looking for is an additonal CC to add, then it may work.  There is also a CU, whose name escapes me now, that only does SP.

Message 6 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@MortgageMinded wrote:

Because they are looking at what the UW may want you to have in the way of credit.  Most may not be completely aware of the impact to your score when they tell you to do things like this.

I know Open Sky does no HP.  They may not be the best CC but if all you are looking for is an additonal CC to add, then it may work.  There is also a CU, whose name escapes me now, that only does SP.

Backup has arrived 

The envelope please......and the winner is

SFDCU requires no HP and the only scoring ding will be when it reports to CR's 

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

Good luck OP

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@MortgageMinded wrote:

Backup has arrived 

The envelope please......and the winner is

SFDCU requires no HP and the only scoring ding will be when it reports to CR's 

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

Good luck OP

Lol.  Yep, that is the one.  I can never remember that one for some reason.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.